• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bzroom

What can you do with a fragment shader?

This topic is 5228 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I understand fragment shaders but just what are some implimentations. I'm a little confused as to how they would be used to blur. Would you just sample from areas around that pixel in the texture? Also is it possible to put pixel shaders in series? say i wanted a certain effect on a certain object but i wanted global motion blur. Is that possible or would i need a certain effect + m blur shader and a regular motion blur shader for the differnt objects? My video card dosnt' even support fragment shaders (stupid laptop, its brand new) but it would be stupid for me to not support them in my games. So what exactly am i missing out on? edit: sorry if this post is stupid, im trying to grasp working at the pixel level. At the object level i learned about matricies, then i learned at the pixel level with skeletal animation, so vertex shaders are no biggy, I just moved all teh code i ran on every vertex off onto the gpu. But at the pixel level is just weird. I assume the pixel shader is called for every pixel filled by a polygon, as each polygon is drawn, not at the end of the scene. So how would i do a blur shader? Woulding i need info from the pixels around the one im currelty working on. So would i ahve to render to a texture then render again looking up from that texture? [edited by - honayboyz on February 27, 2004 6:57:02 PM]

Advertisement

Forgot to mention i use opengl.

Yea i''ve downloaded the new dx sdk just to see wuts goin on.

I can''t seem to run anything marked "new" at anything higher then 2 spf (thats seconds per frame not frames per second).

I''ve got a geforce 4 448 go, its in a laptop.

I have a geforce 4 ti 4600 (or is it 4800) in my old computer, does anyone know if that will support fragment shaders?

Guest Anonymous Poster
It will support older fragment shaders but not the new DX9 fragment shaders. For that, you''ll need one of the new Radeon 9500+ or NVidia GeForceFX cards, or you''ll need to run the program in reference mode (very slow).

>>I''ve got a geforce 4 448 go, its in a laptop.
eh, no ARB_fragment_program support on this card; but with the NVemulate-tool you can get it in - but instead of frames per second, you will have minutes per frame

take a look at famous humus 3D programming page, at http://esprit.campus.luth.se/~humus/

he shows very cool things with all this latest OpenGL stuff !

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!