• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gbone

What dev tools are you using?

This topic is 5321 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m curious what everyone is using to do profiling and other debugging ''stuff''? I know Rational/IBM developed Purify and there are some other professional tools for profiling. What are you guys using and what do you recommend? Thanks! -GBone

Advertisement
DEV-C++ enviroment - mingw - because its free and because it is ''easy'' to develop crossplatform apps with...

and of course, the best and simplest of all
std::cout

Why has no-one mentioned MessageBox() or OutputDebugString()?
Sure, they''re not portable, but for printing debug info they work fine!

Oh, and VC++ integrated debugger. I''ve never figured out the integrated profiler, though - I got it to give me some numbers but iirc they weren''t very useful numbers.

30day trial of VTune expired for me, so nothing at the momment. At least, besides the typical MSDev stuff: OutputDebugString(), out putting to a log file, code implementation of a memmory manager/watcher, debug window, etc.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!