I want to make a game with smoother animation!

Started by
1 comment, last by Jupiter Hessius 20 years, 1 month ago
I have created a silly little non-scrolling platform thing by modifying the Falling Block Game tutorial code, but it is of course very choppy and nigh unto worthless, since you can only move in 64 pixel jumps (that''s how big the tiles are). I am wondering, to create a smoother game should I learn to use DirectX now? Is there any other way to make the animation smoother, and would they be a waste of time when I could be learning DirectX instead? Thanx in advance for replies!
Sometimes people die, and that''s sad, but it''s worse if they don''t die. Ever...because then they''re vampires.
Advertisement
API usually doesn''t matter at all, except in speed and things it does for you (which is important, but not yet). Actually make your own falling blocks game rather than modifying one. DirectX doesn''t really help you make smooth animations.

By the way, have you considered OpenGL, Allegro, and SDL? They''re worth at least looking at.

<- Cow Soft, free software I''ve made
"Unfortunatly, when I sent the email, instead of writing "Best Regards" I ended up writing "Best Retards." - boolean
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
quote:Original post by Jupiter Hessius
Is there any other way to make the animation smoother, and would they be a waste of time when I could be learning DirectX instead?
When you move, do it a pixel at a time instead of a tile at a time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement