Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus (an extremely common topic, I suppose)

Started by
8 comments, last by GatesPlusPlus 20 years, 1 month ago
I know that this book is supposed to be a classic. But is it (the 2nd Ed) still useful for modern game programming? If not, do you reccomend any other book (for DirectX programming)? Just if you want to know, I have an intermmediate knowledge of C++ (have read the Wrox press C++ tutorial, Essential C++ by Stanley B. Lippman, The C++ Programming Language (Third Edition) by Stroustrup as well as many articles on this site) and have gained a basic knowledge of C++ game programming by reading Teach Yourself Game Programming in 24 hours by Michael Morrison. [edited by - GatesPlusPlus on February 27, 2004 11:24:38 PM]
Advertisement
Learning API''s like Direct X are useful for developing anything good, but both Tricks books are good to learn how things like Direct X work (well only in software) - personally I recomend those books as well as Direct X books as I would say my DX coding has got better after reading them as they gave me new ideas.

The other thing is you can learn everything (well most things) about Direct X from tutorials in the internet, and forums such as this one. It is cheaper than books, which often are irrelivent content and most tutorials also come with sample code.

Good Luck
I believe the concepts are still useful. Even though it may show its age by using DirectDraw7, the main game concepts shown in the book are still applicable. However, the book is mainly just an introduction to game programming and doesn't get too detailed on any one topic. I'd definitely recommend it, but just to be safe read through it a bit at the book store to make sure it's for you.

---------------------
Ryan Bujnowicz
[ vangelis ]

[edited by - vangelis on February 27, 2004 11:37:17 PM]
---------------------Ryan Bujnowicz[ vangelis ]
Thanks, that''s what I was looking for. I''ll buy it after a month.

BTW, is Code Complete still good? (not a game programming-specific question)
@GatesPlusPlus:
(nice name*g*)
sorry for critizing you, but if you have read all of this above mentioned books and if you have worked a while with C++, you should have widely more than "intermediate C++"...

>>is Code Complete still good? (not a game programming-specific
>>question)
a MUST HAVE ! and: this book will never be deprecated...

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
You might want to wait a few months before buying Code Complete, as Code Complete 2 will be published in June. You can read the manuscript on Steve McConnell''s website.

http://www.stevemcconnell.com/
I just bought it and am almost done.

it is an excelent book

what i really liked about it:
-greate intruduction to windows programming! i have tried to understand widows programming for a long time and just tought it was me. but this book explains it WELL!
-In depth, well organized.
-Does not assume you know anything other then C and a bit of C++
-Explains AI and datastructures well that most game programming books dont

Cons:
-I found learning COM a bit difficult to understand. He said in the introduction of the chappter that its a hard topic to absorbe and it will take time and either he is right or i wish it was explained better, but then again this is just 1 chapter.
-I wish it had a chapter on "putting it all together" a chapter at the end designed to teach you game design and game logic. how to use all the skills of the chapter to make a game. I have not read the last chapter yet but it seems it does half of that.

Overall:
I think its better then most books! :D I do not regret buying it!!!
Commander Keen
I suggest that you don't buy it. I have been reading it but I can't help putting it down because I hate reading how to develop 2D games. Although there are some good chapters on AI, physics, marketing your game, and implementing sound. But in the end, you might spend two months just reading the tome and afterwards maybe a year to develop your 2D app only to realize that DX 10 is out and you're still using DX7.

Get PRPGWDX and SEPWDX and TOT3DGPG (pretty sure I got all of those acronyms right). Then jump in at about step 3 here.

"Do not flame people you don't know in a public forum. Only amateurs do that. Professionals in the industry know they will run into each other over and over. The person you flame this year may the person you want to do business with next year. Don't burn your bridges," (Diana Gruber, http://www.makegames.com/chapt6.html) .

[edited by - DIRECTXMEN on March 1, 2004 10:19:03 AM]
I also would suggest that you don''t buy TOTWGPG and buy instead Core Techniques and Algorithms in Game Programming.

I have both books, but Core Alogirithms gives a better view of all aspects of game programming. Its simply the most complete book on game programming that I have read. While you won''t be an expert in any one area after reading this book, it covers enough of each of the areas to where you understand the basic principles, preparing for other readings on specific topics.
"afterwards maybe a year to develop your 2D app only to realize that DX 10 is out and you''re still using DX7."

does it really matter. is it so hard to update the code to use another version? afaik the 2d core isnt changing much theese days.

and after all. with all the new cellular phones capable of handling sound and graphics, 2d programming is far from dead.

no knowledge is bad knowledge

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement