• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

safe

What is the difference between ODE & PDE?

This topic is 5225 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
MathWorld can tell you more. But in a nutshell (though I don''t know the precise defintions), ODEs involve complete derivatives, while PDEs involve partial derivatives.

ODEs are easier than PDEs.

ODEs involve single-variable derivatives, PDEs involve multi-variable derivatives.

It is not that PDEs involve multi variable derivatives at all.. ODEs can contain multivariate functions... The difference is VERY simple... if it contains ordinary (AKA total) derivatives only... it is an ODE. If it contains partial derivates, it is a PDE. In essence, a partial derivate is one in which all other parameters are considered constant while differentiating (even though they may otherwise be dependant). The major issure this leads to, is that integration constants become general functions. This means that finding solutions to PDEs is in general more complex that for ODEs... and even worse, general (non trivial) analytic solutions are often pretty meaningless.

Guest Anonymous Poster
The difference between ODE''s and PDE''s is I got an A in my class on ODE''s. I got a B in my class on PDE''s.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!