Free game-engine ?

Started by
2 comments, last by _Danneman_ 20 years, 1 month ago
Hi guys, Im developing an online-course in spanish for an educational institution (private, semi-commercial - i.e. no profit, but still fees for salaries etc.), and would like to include a virtual chatt-room in 3D for the students. Do you know of any free-license game-engines that fullfills the following criteria: - Cross-platform (preferably OpenGL or something). - Multiplay - ca: 50 people - Chatt-function (click on someone/group and chatt) - Easily skinned avatars - Easy to build maps (Im just going for a simple café-look) Nothing fancy. Thanks.
------------------------Why of course the people don’t want war. ... That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship ...Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country. [Herman Goering]
Advertisement
If you need true portability id program it in java... thought i dont know of any graphics libraries for it, im sure they are there... in fact ive looked at a few posts here about them... google for them and you should find plenty, now the portability issue pisses me off, because ppl always go "open-gl is protable" and then you ask them what their target platform is, and its windows x86, exclusively... thus taking a lot out of their portability arguement, now the ease of use arguement still stands, many people much prefer the syntax of opengl over directx''s i personally prefer directx''s, dunno y, i just do... i kinda tried to sum up the flame war between d3d and ogl(open gl) for you right there... hope u can make ur own choice from that...
( i know i rambled )
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Thats a good idea - using Java, and build some sort of 3D applet for chatting. Ive heard about OpenGL-java (something like that), but never investigated it further. Well, its prime time

Thanks again, Dan.

If anybody else has other suggestions, please post them too.
------------------------Why of course the people don’t want war. ... That is understood. But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship ...Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country. [Herman Goering]
Crystal Space
http://crystal.sourceforge.net/
Crystal Space is a free (LGPL) and portable 3D Game Development Kit written in C++

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement