• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kurryman

some guidance! Ta

This topic is 5230 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, Im currently working on my project in D3D for my degree and i need to access the vertices of a mesh (x format) so i can translate them (just like in 3dsmax!). Ive got the mesh rendering to screen just for anyone that wants to know where i am with it. Are there any tutorials or guides around for this? some guidance or maybe anyone that might wanna show me how? (if its not too hard). Thanks!

Advertisement
quote:
Original post by Kurryman
i need to access the vertices of a mesh (x format) so i can translate them (just like in 3dsmax!).

Do you mean so that you can move the mesh around in your 3D world? If so, then should just use a world transformation. Accessing the individual vertices in a mesh is very slow. Modern graphics cards are made so that transoforming vertices is *extremely* fast. Look at Tutorial 3 in the DX SDK docs.

neneboricua

quote:
Original post by neneboricua19
Do you mean so that you can move the mesh around in your 3D world? If so, then should just use a world transformation. Accessing the individual vertices in a mesh is very slow. Modern graphics cards are made so that transoforming vertices is *extremely* fast. Look at Tutorial 3 in the DX SDK docs.

neneboricua

I meant more so i could morph the 3d mesh so i can do something like face animated expressions like smiling, grinning, winking etc

Well, directly accessing the vertices of an ID3DXMesh object has been covered *many* times in this forum. I think I''ve personally covered it at least half a dozen times in the past few months. Check out this recent thread:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=206963

Look at the fourth post down. I wrote a bunch of code that you can cut and paste that shows how to do it.

Keep in mind that if you want to do this every frame, it''s going to be very slow. If you just do it once during initialization, then that''s fine. If you''re looking for ways to do facial animation in real-time, then you need to stay away from accessing individual vertices. Facial animation isn''t an easy subject. A google search or a search in the Graphics Programming & Theory forum here on GameDev might help.

neneboricua

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!