• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SuperDuck

How do I increse the 3D look in a uniformly colored object??

This topic is 5318 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have created a lung of about 2.67 million triangles. It is of about uniform dark gray color which makes the 3D look a little non-3D even with the lighting and stuff. Any suggestions or checks on that? The background is black at the moment, any new color to make it look more 3D?? The lung color may not be changed though. We are all like a duck ... it looks calm and cool above the water; but underneath, its tiny feet are peddling hard to stay afloat. Me? I''m just another duck in the pond!!! [edited by - SuperDuck on February 28, 2004 6:20:58 PM]

Advertisement
what a about a fine texture ?
but... *g* ... i assume with 2.5 mio tri's without any polygo reduction algorithm, you have no computing power left, for texturing, eh ?
(it sounds like a brute force approach?)

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature

[edited by - DJSnow on February 28, 2004 6:31:53 PM]

quote:
Original post by SuperDuck
I have created a lung of about 2.67 million triangles. It is of about uniform dark gray color which makes the 3D look a little non-3D even with the lighting and stuff. Any suggestions or checks on that? The background is black at the moment, any new color to make it look more 3D?? The lung color may not be changed though.

An environment map, Specular highlights, multiple light sources.. Any of these will increase the apparent depth of a 3d object.

quote:

We are all like a duck ... it looks calm and cool above the water; but underneath, its tiny feet are peddling hard to stay afloat. Me? I''m just another duck in the pond!!!

Ducks float! They dont have to paddle

DJSnow:

I cant use texture mapping because I need to maintain the actual gray scales involved...Actually I'm constructing a 3D of the lung from CT scan images and need to show the actual gray scale colors involved in them.

2.68 mil triangles is the minimum possible number to produce the lung surface (hollow inside) at low resolution. Any lesser and the surface no longer remains smooth. This btw is at low resolution. At full resolution, the number of triangles involved is about 23.5 mil This is after extraction from 512*512 resolution images, 270 images in all. Heavy stuff going on here

[edited by - SuperDuck on February 28, 2004 7:04:10 PM]

Willm:

I''m not sure what u mean by enviornment map...could u plz explain? Already doing specular highliting. Was using single light source, will check out multiple light sources, thanks

Thanks for the insight on ducks, but when they paddle, they still look cool and calm

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!