• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SavX

What should I learn first? Visual basic? Or straight onto C++?

This topic is 5314 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m 15 and new to computer programming. When I''m older I want to get into computer programmer and eventually game design/programming. But where to start? So many different languages, I just don''t know what to do first. As I have had no experience in programming at all, should I start with something simple like Visual Basic? Or go straight onto the most used language C++ and learn that because it''ll be more usefull? Any tips would be great, thanks : ) SavX

Advertisement
well, i don''t have too many other core programming languages under my belt, by Stroustrup (C++''s creator) recommends not learning C before C++ if you are a rock-bottom beginner. In other words, feel free to cut to the chase and learn C++ now.

Yo, im 15, i skipped vb, i hate vb, and so do my friends that have tried it... dont use it, if you wanted t odo something easy, id use QBASIC to learn programming logic, thought it may come easy for you (it did for me) visual basic doesnt do much in that way for you... id either do QBASIC or C++ depending on how smart you think you are... if your an abstract thinker, go straight to c++, if you need a compiler i can help yah there also... just search for "Dev-C++" or "Bloodshed Dev-C++" also you may find it useful to take a class at your local community college (4 dollars for 4 units if your a highschool student booyah!) hope that helped
-Dan

VB isn''t the step under C++, it''s an entirely different language which only serves as method of stalling the inevitable if all you''re planning on doing is learning C++.

If you want to learn C++, just do it. Otherwise you''re wasting your time.

MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net

quote:
Original post by Ademan555
Yo, im 15, i skipped vb, i hate vb, and so do my friends that have tried it... dont use it, if you wanted t odo something easy, id use QBASIC to learn programming logic, thought it may come easy for you (it did for me) visual basic doesnt do much in that way for you... id either do QBASIC or C++ depending on how smart you think you are... if your an abstract thinker, go straight to c++, if you need a compiler i can help yah there also... just search for "Dev-C++" or "Bloodshed Dev-C++" also you may find it useful to take a class at your local community college (4 dollars for 4 units if your a highschool student booyah!) hope that helped
-Dan

Well your friends don''t professionally use VB at their workplaces to write software to interface and interact with their databases, do they? If they did (and I do), then they would love VB.

MindEngine Development
http://medev.sourceforge.net

Either C++ or both, but don''t do VB first. VB is an invaluable tool (a couple of my better programs use it), but it''s not any easier to get good at it (really good) than it is to get really good at C++. And I''ll mention that I''m turning 15 next year, because it''s customary of me to flaunt that fact.

<- Cow Soft, free software I''ve made
"Unfortunatly, when I sent the email, instead of writing "Best Regards" I ended up writing "Best Retards." - boolean

neurokaotix, tell me, how much true programming theory do you get out of it? it doesnt teach you procedural programming, its just a simple way to create windows apps...

languages are just tools, they are here to serve you ... WHATEVER language you like is a good langauge to use.

That said however, there is absolutely no need or even recommendation in learning Visual Basic (unless it just suits your personal style of thinking) ... If you use the MSDN to look at code samples you will see that nearly every .NET program example is given in Visual Basic and C# - and that the code layout between the 2 is very similar ... only the details of the exact syntax and the look of the syntax are different.

I personally come from a Pascal, C, C++ bacground, so I prefer C# many many times of Visual Basic - but that''s me. There is also a product from Borland called Delphi that is very good for programming apps easily and visually, while still teaching you good programming skills.

I personally recommend C# or Delphi to beginners who want to do visual or game programming, but are is also ruby and Python to consider (Python with PyGame is quit easy to use).

As you get a little better, I recommend you learn at least a little but of 2 langauges ... so when you find something you don''t know how to do in one, you might see how easy it is in the other (each langauge exposes ways of thinking ... and then you can translate that knowledge to all other langauges).

I recommend everyone know a more tranditional langauge: C++, C#, Delphi, Java, ...

and a scripting language: ruby, Python, Perl, Lua, ...

My preferences are (C++ / C#) and (ruby / Python).

And what is wrong with that? Not every language has to be the ungodly mess of complexity and power that is C++. It's not like the users really care what programming language you use as long as it runs fast enough.

There's a point to languages beyond their level of separation from the hardware.

Edit: never hurts to learn a functional language like Scheme as well.

[edited by - antareus on February 28, 2004 6:57:26 PM]

for just getting a start, you might also want to check out learning a scripting language first. Scripts are very high-level languages and it''s much easier to knock out an idea on scripting languages than something like C++. I got my start on Perl, but it will spoil you moving to C++. look into Python or Ruby as well.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!