What should I learn first? Visual basic? Or straight onto C++?

Started by
42 comments, last by SavX 20 years, 1 month ago
on the speed issue, vb is just an ugly mess of script jammed through a bunch of runtime dlls, it doesnt get compiled, SSLLLOOOWWWW.... ok im done

edit: not meant to start a flame war lol, vb has its merits (business apps for use internally because of the speed of development)
i just dont like it :-D

[edited by - Ademan555 on February 28, 2004 7:29:19 PM]
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Ademan555
neurokaotix, tell me, how much true programming theory do you get out of it? it doesnt teach you procedural programming, its just a simple way to create windows apps...

Nonsense. It''s fine for procedural programs, though it''s mostly object-oriented (well, completely). It teaches just as much theory (and, in most cases, just as goot or better theory) than C/C++. It''s not "simple," and you can make games also.

<- Cow Soft, free software I''ve made
"Unfortunatly, when I sent the email, instead of writing "Best Regards" I ended up writing "Best Retards." - boolean
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
on the speed issue, vb is just an ugly mess of script jammed through a bunch of runtime dlls, it doesnt get compiled, SSLLLOOOWWWW.... ok im done

edit: not meant to start a flame war lol, vb has its merits (business apps for use internally because of the speed of development)

More utterly wrong information. It''s compiled just fine, nothing to do with scripting, and runtime DLL''s don''t even matter in newer versions.

"Unfortunatly, when I sent the email, instead of writing "Best Regards" I ended up writing "Best Retards." - boolean
ummm.... i dont know anything about the "newer" versions of vb, but as far as i know the old ones DID NOT COMPILE they were turned into a visual basic script file, and was attached to a exe, and that exe fed the script through a dll... im pretty damn sure about that...
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
ummm.... i dont know anything about the "newer" versions of vb, but as far as i know the old ones DID NOT COMPILE they were turned into a visual basic script file, and was attached to a exe, and that exe fed the script through a dll... im pretty damn sure about that...

Loofles! Visual Basic Script? Like for websites? Or do you just mean Visual Basic code, but you use the word "script" to make it sound even worse? Either way, it''s totally, blatantly wrong. All versions of VB were compiled, they just relied on the runtime DLL''s to store some of the very useful features...

Perl and Python are interpreted too, just like VB. Does that mean they shouldn''t exist? Of course not! They serve a niche.

Like I said earlier: leave arguments of how low-level the language is out of this.
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis
i never said that they should exist...

quote of ME:
"edit: not meant to start a flame war lol, vb has its merits (business apps for use internally because of the speed of development)
"

does that suggest that i dont think it should exist? im gonna say NO, i just said i dont like it
I started with VB ages ago and taught myself most of what I needed to know. You can write decient games with VB, and if you use something like Direct X to write games (well simple ones) you will find little difference in speed between VB and C++. Having said that I use C++ now and I don''t regret it. If you want to started making a simple game soon use VB, else invest a bit of time and use C++. Also if you get something like the Direct X SDK, you can pick up most of what you need to know about making games with C++ from that.

Good Luck
VB is not interpreted, whatever either of you say.

quote:Original post by antareus
Perl and Python are interpreted too, just like VB. Does that mean they shouldn''t exist? Of course not! They serve a niche.

Perl and Python are entirely different from VB, in that they''re interpreted and VB isn''t, and that VB is much better at GUI''s and has a form developer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement