• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vlion

[java] VS2003 capabilities

This topic is 5396 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I need to write a graphics application thingy that fits on a webpage. It needs to be able to draw lines, based on some slider inputs. It needs to be able to run on macs, *nices, windowz, etc- that''s why I''m using Java. Can VS2k3 do this, or do I need to use the "official" stuff? I''ve never worked with Java before, so I''m not familiar with the Java world, the ides, the compilers, etc etc etc. Thanks lots ! ~V''lion Bugle4d

Advertisement
I would recommend eclipse for a good java IDE, but its not a good tool to start out with. Try JCreator. Then once you get the nack for java, move up to Eclipse.

Read a good java applet tutorial. That should be all you need.

http://www.realapplets.com/tutorial/HelloWorld.html

Nostalgic Studios - http://www.freewebs.com/nostalgicstudios/
Email: Jebb99@Excite.com

u can use VS 2k3 to develop java apps as long as your careful what you use (can''t use any graphics for one thing) then compile it with javac -- some method names will need caps removed/added but other then that your OK.

Best off sticking with VS2K3 and just putting it in .aspx site

Part of the criteria is portability.
A straight client-side java implementation means I can hand the code to the client and he can set it up without a problem- extra server stuff.

Then don''t bother with VS2K3. Take a look at either Eclipse or Netbeans. I''ve found that they tend to simplify applet development by auto generating the necessary HTML files, and allowing you to easily debug an applet as if it were an application.

If possible, try getting your users to upgrade to the latest JVM, so that you get better performance and other nice stuff.

point1=new Point2D.Double(v2.p1[0],v2.p1[1]);
point2=new Point2D.Double(v2.p2[0],v2.p2[1]);
System.out.print(v2.p1[0]+" "+v2.p1[1]);
line=new Line2D.Double(point1,point2);
graphics2D.setColor(c23);
graphics2D.draw(line);

Use Java tutorial to get yourself into basic shape. And stop being dependant on the mickerosoft stuff.

Rest of the information is inside of the api documentation.

Ummm...I''m not "dependant" on M$.
I just have VS2k3 installed.
I do use other tools- nearly ALL of my tools are non-m$- Java is just a world wherein I''ve not needed to operate in before.

Anyway: I''m looking at opengl''s interface with java.
Next thread.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!