Java to overcome c/c++ anytime soon?

Started by
48 comments, last by 41ph4_r4p70r 20 years, 1 month ago
K, this may be a little offtopic, but its just that lately I''ve been having nightmares about a world where Java rules and c/c++ developers are caged somewhere in a dark, far away place. No, seriously, with some benchmarks that I''ve been looking at, where the performance issua with interpreted languages aint su much of an issue anymore, and for example, the JIT compilers getting better everytime, now the reason to choose c/c++ over jave cannot be performance. So, do you guys think in an inmediate future averyone will start programming games in Java and c/c++ will be relegated and almost buried like asm for instance??? Or its still a very distant future since most apps are coded in c/c++ and proting them to Java would be painful, take for example 3d engines and such I appreciate your thoughts, but remember this aint a flame wars topic, or a "why do I preffer x language over y language" one.
Advertisement
c/c++ is not a language
You and i both knew what he meant...
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
I don''t see why people are so afraid of changing languages...

...just choose whatever is best for what you are doing.

That being said, C++ is going nowhere. It is widely used on many different platforms, very easy to use, and is faster, which is great for speed critical code.

But what is the big problem with new languages?
quote:is faster, which is great for speed critical code.

Highly debatable.

Bottom Line: Pick YOUR language, the one that you like the best, the one that you know the best and get GURU with it! Learn how and why it ticks. Pick up a few other languages just to know any you''ll be fine.
"Arguing on the Internet is like winning in the Special Olympics, in the end, you''re still retarded"
quote:Original post by SuperCableMan
quote:is faster, which is great for speed critical code.

Highly debatable.

So lets debate. Isn''t it faster!?
- blew
Well, I know Java as well, also php, perl, python, bla bla, its just that I wouldnt like everyone turning to the dark side. eg. In collegue, they wont teach c/c++ anymore since java "is the future" and supossedly c/c++ is for oldies, know what Im saying?

Well, and as I said, the speed issue aint as critical as it used to be, and no, not "lets debate", this isnt supossed to be the point of this post, but rather to hear your opinions about how long will c/c++ last with this new languages "threat".
quote:Original post by Blew
So lets debate.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. enough threads have been wasted on this crap. see, for instance, the current java and single inheritance thread. heed the advice of others and pick the language you want...you dont need to proselytize!

[edited by - justo on February 28, 2004 12:19:51 AM]
On a similar topic, when will slacks overtake jeans?
"E-mail is for geeks and pedophiles." -Cruel Intentions
quote:lately I've been having nightmares about a world where Java rules and c/c++ developers are caged somewhere

quote:this aint a flame wars topic, or a "why do I preffer x language over y language" one.

Make up your mind.

OT: why are there so many language wars going on here? Don't you guys have projects to work on?

[edited by - antareus on February 28, 2004 12:34:49 AM]
--God has paid us the intolerable compliment of loving us, in the deepest, most tragic, most inexorable sense.- C.S. Lewis

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement