• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3Dgangsta

Stuck, little confused

This topic is 5398 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am now comfortable with C++ and DirectX9 but I am stuck. My ultimate goal is to make a FPS using Counter-Strike as a guide. So Im not sure what to do now, Do I have to create a Game engine or something? I dont want to use any other engines for this. I want to do it from pure sratch. What is the point of game engine? is it to make it easier to fill out DX function parameters using your own functions? like a layer between the DX API and the actuall game content? I have no idea what to do and am getting fustrated because I have it all planned out on paper and I know I have the skill to code it. Thanks for any help you can give me. -Rob [edited by - 3Dgangsta on February 28, 2004 11:59:33 PM]

Advertisement
You shouldn''t start making a FPS if this is your first game.... FYI a Game Engine makes Graphics, sound, and input easier by initializing all of the stuff and destroying it so all you''ve got to do is add the rules, models, and other stuff. You should study some engines before making your own. Go hunt down the Quake and Return To Castle Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory source codes and take a look on how they made the engine. A look at Half Life''s Source Code won''t hurt much either.

Big Tip: Plan everything in the beginning so you don''t have to worry about planning it when you get to it.

quote:
Original post by 3Dgangsta
What is the point of game engine?

This article describes pretty much what a game engine is and what it does. That might help you decide what to do next.

quote:
Original post by 3Dgangsta
Hi,
I have no idea what to do and am getting fustrated

This will take you a nice while, I mean, a couple of couples of years, so don''t hurry or you''ll give up.

Ok I understand better now, that article was good. So is there any game engine that I can just call functions from VC++.net. Because I dont want to use an editor like DArkBasic. I want pure C++. The engine must use DirectX9. THanks

-Rob

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!