About weapon animation.

Started by
2 comments, last by lgc_ustc 20 years, 1 month ago
Hello, all, Current I am developing a FPS demo and every works fine so far except one thing: the weapon animation(the animation of yourself''s weapon in the down right corner, I mean).I am currently dealing with QuakeIII models. I used the code from http://www.gametutorials.com. When I tried to deal with the models from QuakeIII itself, I found there are some files which the tutorials did not cover. Take the machine gun as an example, there are: machinegun_barrel.md3, machinegun_flash.md3, machinegun_hand.md3. I do not get it because I tried to load these weapons and render them on the screen and found nothing appeared although no error ever occurred. I guess machinegun_flash.md3 is used to render the firing machine gun and machinegun_hand.md3 to render the weapon animation. Am I right? Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to render the weapon animation? Thanks
Advertisement
okay let me explain this:

Quake3''s weapon DON''T have animations. the _hand,_barrel,... are just position or model parts. the model in the view is just rotated(the barrel) and the whole weapon moved forward and backwards while shooting, there''s no real animation. You could have a look at quake3 mods like UrbanTerror,Full Metal Jacket, or some reality mod that brought modded weapons with it and added the animation functionality!

Hope this helped you
www.prsoftware.de
Thanks, JazzD,

I think I understand what you mean quite well. In addition, I am still wondering what those files are for, since I never got them rendered onto the screen after I successfully loaded them.
As in the post by JazzD:

The files you're coping with are files containing movement info for the weapon, hand and barrels. Like they will probably contain a set of animation sequences that can be applied to the corresponding weapon/hand/barrel model.

[edited by - Tree Penguin on February 29, 2004 6:59:49 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement