• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

captainmikey

Mario 1 "Generation" side-scroller.

This topic is 5315 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

[Apologizes if this is in the wrong forum. Also I don't know how to format my text :O] So, I'm trying to write Mario 1. Except with swords & shotguns. My current class structure looks something like this: Texture [encapsulates LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE9] Frame [Texture + frame-embedded data: ticks (duration), offset (translates sprite x,y position), "velocity" (automagic movement per frame), bounding-box (for collisions WITH TILES), flags ("hurty" frames, etc), sound-trigger] Animation [vector of frames] Sprite [vector of Animations + positional and flipping information] Tile [Animation, though most of Frame's parameters are unused as Tiles are relatively static.] Level [Collection of Tiles] PlayerState [Derived sub-classes which handle behavior of each player state (e.g. walking, running, jumping, falling, etc.)] Control [status of each input button, HOPEFULLY flexible enough to allow script-based "demos"] Player [Sprite + PlayerState + Control] I'm sorry if that's confusing as hell, but IF YOU HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS SORT OF THING I'd like some suggestions as to whether this is a good way of handling things (so far) and any suggestions you may have for future functionalitity. I should note that I have not yet implemented Enemies (I believe they will be similar to Player, but with objects designed for generic state transitions), or Scripts (automagic control of Player and NPC-Type characters). Again, any input on this structure (or requests for clarifications) would be greatly appreciated, as the scope of this "simple" project is already starting to make my head spin - Mikey. [edited by - captainmikey on February 29, 2004 9:05:42 AM]

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
for mario 1 I''d hack it together and get the charecter on the screen moving with joystick input and work form there to figure out what''s. Mario''s kinda simple but if you commit to a complicated design you might make more work for yourself.

Guest Anonymous Poster
the original mario wasn''t a side scroller.

quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

He means Super Mario Bros.

quote:
Original post by PlayGGY
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster

He means Super Mario Bros.

I think the AP is referring to SMB, too. Maybe he said that "it wasn´t a sidescroller" because the screen was not able to scroll to the left.

Guest Anonymous Poster
...or because the origional mario bros was just one screen per level?

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!