• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adamisme003

Hey Guys, Im new, Really want to learn.Appreciate if you could take a look.

This topic is 5224 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey boys and girls, Hi, I found this site last night after a extensive search for what and how games are made. Im a gaming freak, I love it, been around games my whole life. My question is, Where do I begin? Where do I start? Is it even reasonable to get into this feild without a knowledge of a computer language? I know a bit of HTML and the very very basics of C++, In fact to be honest I wouldnt even go that far. I have high motivation to learn.I really like to learn if it interests me. I pick up things very fast. I''d really appreciate it if I could talk to someone about this and maybe help me get the ball rolling. Maybe on Yahoo, MSN, AOL ect ect. Im a good honest guy with the will to learn, everything I go into I truely feel in my heart I can be the best or be very good in. If someone could take the time and effort to talk to me, id be truely greatfull. Im 19 and from Michigan, Right now im kind of twisted in which way I want my life to go, Career wise. I think this is something im really interested in doing and i could accel in. I appreciate you time and effort in reading this, Thank you, Adam

Advertisement
This is a good place to start: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/

Welcome to GameDev!

[edited by - NewbJ on February 29, 2004 11:41:28 AM]

[edited by - NewbJ on February 29, 2004 11:41:50 AM]

Actually i would have to say that the Start Here is very narrow and crappy. it dosent help much. What i would advice is for you to learn to program a little better. If C++ is not for you try Visual Basic. Unless you have a very strong understanding of programming you are not going to enjoy game programming. take it slow. Game programming is not for everyone and its much harder than it looks. Just find a language you like learn it well. And finally try out an API like DirectX, OpenGL, or SDL.

Hi. I have been programming for a while in VB and other languages, and know enough C++ to make games. If you really are interested in this field I recommend you learn C++. It will take some time though, and you need to be quite experianced to write games. If you want to see a game of yours come to life soon, learn VB (but still learn C++ in your spart time (if any)) and you will be well on the way to making games.

Good Luck

Thanks guys, Really appreciate the advice. I need it! Now if its possible id like to ask one more question or two. Whats the quickest and fastest way to learn C++ or C? Any good free Online tutorials that are pretty decent at getting the point across?

Thanks again for the responces, time and effort

Adam

quote:
Original post by Adamisme003
... Whats the quickest and fastest way to learn C++ or C? ...

Noobs -- always in a hurry!

Learning a language is very small part of what you need to learn in order to make games. You also need to learn how to program (computer science), how a game is designed and built, and how to implement the systems in a game.

So, you may be able to gain a basic knowledge of C++ "in 21 days", but be prepared to spend years learning the rest.

What's up, Adam. Welcome to gamedev.

If you want to learn C, the best book is still Kernighan & Ritchie's The C Programming Language. Beautifully simple book.

For C++, the aforementioned book by Bruce Eckels is great.

For an introduction to programming, try Python. Simple. Compact. Documented. Beautiful language.

And for excellent programming practice, turn here and here.

For a great development environment under windows, there's Dev-C++ and (what I use) MinGW. Though, you may eventually try Mandrake Linux as an introduction to Linux.

If you need any help at all, feel free to ask. I'll put my email up so you can have that too. Have a great time!

==================
Benjamin Heath
==================

[edited by - Benjamin Heath on February 29, 2004 9:03:18 PM]

If you need help, ask me as well if you need to. I got the book C++ from the Ground Up, 2nd Edition. It is a great book, and does just what is says. Make sure you type in all the examples though. There is a third edition of this book, but I haven''t read it yet. Also, take your time. At first, I rushed through every stage of programming and found myself very lost and confused later on. Make sure you understand everything, especially STL.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@NOSPAM.comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis

Buy a book. Online tutorials are good for learning specific tricks or advanced topics, but one of those hefty programming books is definitely the best way to begin. If you don''t want to spend money, life will be more difficult. For instance, Visual C++ is probably the most beginner-friendly C++ compiler/environment, but it costs money.

But since you don''t know any programming (HTML doesn''t even remotely resemble a programming language) you might want to use a simpler language like Visual Basic. Nothing wrong with that. Or you can use something like BlitzBasic (aka Blitz3D) which is like Basic but with high-level 3D functions built-in.

~CGameProgrammer( );

Screenshots of your games or desktop captures -- Upload up to four 1600x1200 screenshots of your projects, registration optional. View all existing ones in the archives..

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!