In your opinion, What is Game Engine ?

Started by
7 comments, last by mr_tawan 20 years, 1 month ago
As the subject says "In your opinion, What is Game Engine ?" Anyway , because the search page is not working (at least, for me) , So if this question was asked, please point me out where it is. ^^''

http://9tawan.net/en/

Advertisement
Perhaps this can be of some assistance?

Game Development Wiki
I like the DARK layout!
This is a game engine:

setup gamestart gamewhile( game is not over ){  get input  calculate whatever  draw to screen}clean up game
--------------------------A good discussion is like a miniskirt; Short enough to pertain interest and long enough to cover the subject..
In my opinion, a game engine is the game excluding the artwork.

-Nik

Niko Suni

quote:Original post by Nik02
In my opinion, a game engine is the game excluding the artwork.

I''d take that definition a step further and say the game engine is the game excluding the content . Using an FPS as an example, the content could consist of artwork, maps, weapon types and attributes, character data, specialized NPC behavior, and even some of the game rules (what conditions constitute a victory, etc.).

BradDaBug''s link is an excellent series of articles on the topic.
Post Extant Graphical MUD
I think game engine should detect the input and change the src. picture or other script files to display. Just like the bigbadboo said.
Game Beginner!Wait for your help.
Thanks you all for value reply...
^^''

http://9tawan.net/en/

May be something is wrong with my concepts...

A little offtopic but...You can understand these things on you own. Like if I ask you HOW DOES CAR WORKS.

Things easy to notice:
Cars moves using rotation wheels.
You control steer wheel to change car''s direction.
You provide fuel(patrol/deisel/gas) your car physically moves.

So you must know a mechanism exists in car to do every action. If your car consumes patrol than there must be a mechanism to convert that potention-energy into mechanical-energy.

There must me a system which alows you to control steering to the wheels. Your car doesnt jerks a lot on rough road so there must be a system to reduce jerks&jumps.

So in general there is a relation b/w 3 things.

NEED <-> INVENTION <-> INVENTION_USAGE

If we know any these two things we can guess the one unknown.

---------------------
So if you are playing doom2 you can sense a complete system which gets your input and does some calc. every frame & responds you. There are different giants/aliens/zombies but there is something in common, and thats the part of a system which handles them.

If you are colliding with a wall than there must be a mechanism which makes this happen. So you can divide or organize similar behaviours/mechanisms into sub-systems of game engine.

3D Side-Scroller game demo Project-X2 "playable"Lashkar: A 3D Game & Simulation Project demo @ lashkar.berlios.de

I divide my games into two main parts, the core engie and the game engine.

The core engine contains code which is not specific to a game (but it can still be aimed at one type of a game genere of course depending on how abstract you want the engine to be) like memory management, checking user input, rendering etc

While a game engine handles the game logic itself, i.e. what really makes up what the game does.

As an example in difference, checking user input, i.e. for example checking which keys are pressed down, belongs to the core engine, while the logic of what to do when these keys are pressed down belongs to the game engine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement