Skilled players always on top

Started by
17 comments, last by loser99 20 years, 1 month ago
I recently considered something that most people do not have a problem with. The skilled players always have an extreme advantage over the unskilled players, and usually this is not just because of their basic skill. A good player in an FPS does not just have good aim, but also knows the level extremely well because he plays all the time, and knows where all the powerups and weapons are. So in a sense, players who are good to begin with just get added bonuses making the skill gap even bigger. Another example would be a game where you have a meter that goes up whenever you do damage to someone, like Marvel vs Capcom 2. Allowing you to do an even more powerful attack. Less talented players have no real way to fight back. An interested MOD for Unreal Tournament I remember what this fat/skinny mod, where people who killed more would becoming bigger in size and be easier to kill. Any other ideas? Because on the one hand newer players should have some protection against the frustration of getting owned by a very good player, but a very good player should still not loose to a very bad player.
Advertisement
Why can''t the bad players just become good ?

Else, add some kind of ranking system where lower ranked players will get a minimal health/power boost(max 0.001%).
Well, I think a lot about the concept of how, in certain games, when you have the advantage, you are allowed further opportunity to increase your advantage and the player who is at the disadvantage has little chance of coming back.

What I mean is, as in those games you mention where there are power bars, the game makes it easier for the player who is winning to increase his advantage.

WarCraft III is an excellent example of how to allow the player who is behind to catch back up. It uses a system called "upkeep" where if you have more units you get a tax on gold. So after you lose half your army in a battle you still have a chance because you're collecting more gold than the other guy. This is especially important because when you lose a battle, your opponent's hero gets tons of experience, he has more control over the map, allowing him to expand and kill neutral creeps to increase his advantage even more.

[edited by - EvilProgrammer on February 29, 2004 2:59:06 PM]
evil, when you go to edit a double post, it actually lets you delete it too

but anyways:
The only problem with reawarding the crappier players is, now whats the incentive for doing well if all it does is pit the odds against you more? to a certain i SUPPOSE its ok, but i dont think it can work, warcraft''s (starcraft and all 3 warcrafts use that system not just warcraft 3) system is good because it isnt completely limiting the way, say, a "less accuracte" or "less health" mod would be... because if you cant hit anytrhing, your screwed, while warcraft''s thing, you can still build, and overcome that...

kinda rambled as usual... but thats my two cents
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
I like the way "007: Golden Eye" allowed players to ajust their health levels. Whenever I played aginst a 1337 player, he''d always turn his health down so I would have a chance.

In games like UT, I''d really like it if some of the mutators would only apply to certain players. For example, you could give the noob player super jump, or invisiblity, and let everyone else run around without a mod.
I remember playing mp on Return To Castle Wolfenstein. Because I was new I was doing really badly score wise, until I realised I got points for being medic and healing my team mates. This put an whole new perspective on things for me. I didnt have to be really accurate and kill everybody etc etc to do well in the game. I was supporting my team in other ways and getting rewarded for it on the scoreboard.
//+++++++++++++++++++++++++++No Morals//+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
See, skilled players have the advantage because THEY ARE SKILLED. They took the time out to learn the game and become good at it. Any effort to make it so newbies and power-gamers are even is punishing people for replaying your game.

If you want to fix the uneven divide between players, tier out the game and figure out what bracket the players belong in.
william bubel
Trying to balance skilled and unskilled players through a game mechanic is very similar to the No Child Left Behind act. It''s stupid, worthless, and runs on the concept that nobody is ever left behind if nobody ever gets ahead =P Good job, here''s your sign.
Stuff
it''s long time i have overcome this problem
i was really annoy than against long time gamer i have little chance to PLAY because i was so fast fired and then improve my skill, however i have found that it''s a very basic problem to solve

the problem is that the more you are skilled, the more the game rewards you, and the more possibility you have over other players
but it could be solve if the new possibility is risky to balance the situation, so you have to be really skill to use them

the quake 3 mod bid for power was in this mood, the more powerful you became the more easily you could be find, and the more powerful you make an attaque the more open is your defense, while basic move are more balance the advenced are severly imbalance creating a sens of tension and strategy it turn that it greatly serve the game

one another example which pop up my mind is the COIN mode in smash bros meelee, the rule is simple, the more you hit someone the more coin he release, and the more coin he hold the more coin he release as well when dying, all the strategy turn in letting someone get a lot of coin and target him, since the coin is not directly pass to a character to another but fall in the terrain even unskill people can developpe interesting strategy on the scene, since skill person CAN''T do everything and could only try to maximize the lost/gain, the game is balance by the unstability of the situation where balance of force can be shift in less than one second (imagine that a leader loses just once it would release a really great amount of coin on the scene, resulting to a furious MEELEE)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
be good
be evil
but do it WELL
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>be goodbe evilbut do it WELL>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
quote:
original post by Inmate2993
See, skilled players have the advantage because THEY ARE SKILLED. They took the time out to learn the game and become good at it. Any effort to make it so newbies and power-gamers are even is punishing people for replaying your game.

True, you would have to make sure everyone was ok with the handicap, but when I used to play newbies at UT, I wanted to give them some type of special ablity to even the playing field. Its no fun when you kill newbies before they even get a shot off. The fact is, handicaps are fun - it lets you show that you can win even when the odds aren''t fair. It also makes the newbie fell less stupid about playing, and more likely to play again.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement