• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nhatkthanh

how do I create the sky scene like this?

This topic is 5225 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
so if i were to create a sky box, can I do something like this:

one side is at z = 10000, x= -10000, x=10000,....basically for the 6 sides. Then I'm going to have about 10 different textures for clouds and i'm going to blend them and randomly place them on those 6 planes. With some spacing functions or something to get them spread out.

well not for the bottom plane obviously.

will this method work?

thanks again,
thanh

[edited by - nhatkthanh on February 29, 2004 1:20:06 PM]

Well generally a skybox is a 1x1x1 cube that is ALWAYS rendered first in a scene, and is rendered un translated, so it seems to never move in relation to the player thats the simplest kind of skybox (and the type that that tank picture was using) if your familiar with unreal tournament youll know that it actually has 3d skyboxes, with more than just a cube, it can have other models in there, and its marked with a skyzone info, but that is a pretty complicated way to do it, i dont reccomend it for newbies, or really anyone for that matter, it involves detecting whether or not certain polygons are in the skyzone or not, which i cant even comprehend how to do (because im dumb :-D ) but yeah, ^^ thats my two cents

-Dan

quote:
Original post by Ademan555
Well generally a skybox is a 1x1x1 cube that is ALWAYS rendered first in a scene,

- The dimensions of the cube depend on your world scale.
- Rendering skybox last could actually be better, because rendering it first means you burn a lot of fill-rate rendering a lot of pixels that are obscured by geometry/terrain (which will draw over them later).

Muhammad Haggag

Well hold on... if you render it last your just see your skybox, unless of course theress some culling technique that i dont know about... of course, drawing order to me is the only way i can think of having the objects appear the way they should, farthest objects get drawn first, if theres a way around this, im interested, because, im a newb lol

quote:
Original post by Coder
- The dimensions of the cube depend on your world scale.

If you draw the skybox first, only requirement is that it fits between the near and far planes. You could set the near and far plane distances just for the skybox, but that is probably overkill.

quote:
Original post by Coder
- Rendering skybox last could actually be better, because rendering it first means you burn a lot of fill-rate rendering a lot of pixels that are obscured by geometry/terrain (which will draw over them later).

Rendering it last may be faster, but it introduces some issues/problems that you don''t have if you draw it first:

1. You have to turn on Z-test, which will slow down rendering of the skybox.
2. You have to draw it as big as possible without being clipped by the far plane.
3. The skybox might clip objects in the scene and that can look really bad.
4. The skybox might have Z-fighting problems with distant objects in the scene.
4. You don''t actually render it last. You render it before objects with transparency.
5. You have to turn on Z-write for multi-layer skyboxes, which will slow down rendering of the skybox.
6. Multi-layer skyboxes will have Z-fighting problems.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!