how do I create the sky scene like this?

Started by
20 comments, last by nhatkthanh 20 years, 1 month ago
I just use a sphere globe I made in 3ds max of a resonable radius and just make it follow the cam. Render it first with z off and turn it on and then begin the scene. If you have trouble understanding a sky box and want to make it 1000X1000X10000 then this is your easiest method. Cause your method wouldn''t show it at all unless you have the far clipping pane something ridiculous.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
So if you have a skybox that is 1000 miles away and the camera is in the centre, it would have sides that are 2000 miles long. The FOV would have to be quite extreme to fit one whole side onto the screen. This wouldn''t cause issues?

And what happens if you have a video card that auto-mipmaps. aaarrghh. 1000 mile away poly? You don''t want a nice big texture, here, have a small one instead.

If the length of the side of the skybox is 2000 miles, then the side is 1000 miles from the camera. If the length of side is 2000 millimeters, the side is 1000 millimeters from the camera. Either way the FOV is the same -- 90 degrees to fit one face exactly.

Draw two squares on a piece of paper -- a small one inside a big one with the camera in the center. The angle from one corner to the other doesn''t change with the size of the square. Now divide the sides into 4ths (as if a 4x4 texture map). The angle between the texels also doesn''t change with the size of the square.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement