• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CAD52581

Tracking IRC

This topic is 5399 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How would i go about figuring out what channel a game is using and what the input protocols are for that game? EX. player: Shoot I died. user: that sucks so did I player: doh! The user must recieve it on a certain channel how can I go about finding out what that channel is? is there a tool? I hope this makes sense.

Advertisement
hmm really?! then what do they use for online comunication? I figured it was an IRC of some sort. Im pretty sure the MMO I play uses IRC.

I really could be wrong tho. Thus being in the beginner category.

[edited by - Cad52581 on February 29, 2004 6:21:46 PM]

It depends on the game, most games such as CS, Quake3 or UT2K4 use an internal closed system where the player sends the text to the server and the server echos it back to the right players.

MMO probably use a closed IRC system, if they use one at all, which probably requires some sort of authentication system to get into it (assuming you knew the server IP address).

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!