• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Codejoy

what makes a good 2d engine? (i.e. what capabilities)

This topic is 5403 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I am doing a new 2d engine using a DirectDraw like API. I want to know what features make for a good 2d engine? So far i have: Sprites based on spritemaps (each sprite references a surface but does not have its own surface) FPS counter <- ya no brainer FontClass <- draws fonts using any bitmapped font you can throw at it. The things I want to add for sure is: ParticleClass...but I have not thought of a good way to implement offe yet. And some sort of class to handle scrolling using paralax layers and tile maps... What else would make this good 2d engine capable of handling various games such as: 2d side scroolers and shooters. Topdown strategy games (turn based) Other action games in top down or what not. Top down RPG (ala final fantasy) Thanks for any replies! Shane

Advertisement
If you really wanted your engine to do WELL at anything, youd need to focus, trying to cover too much ground is what makes engines suck, you only have so much resources

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!