• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Drakon

comparing strings and chars

This topic is 5224 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
C:
#include <string.h>
int strcmp(const char *string1, const char *string2);

C++:
#include <cstring>
int std::strcmp(const char *string1, const char *string2);

If the returned integer is zero, they''re the same.

Thanks, it works.

Also, how would I go about making one input by gets(string) split into two different strings seperated by spaces?

example, if I type in ''info 12'' , how could I get the info to be one string, and the twelve as another?

C) strtok() - warning, 1) it is not reentrant, 2) it destroys the original string.

C++) stringstreams.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.”
— Brian W. Kernighan (C programming language co-inventor)

[edited by - Fruny on February 29, 2004 10:05:16 PM]

I''m using c++... so, what are stringstreams and how do I use them?

or, point me somewhere that tells how.

stringstreams are standard stream classes, like fstream, but which read from/write to a C++ string instead of a file.

You can see some documentation here, have a look at this recent thread, search the forums (or google) for 'stringstream', or refer to your C++ manual.

Edit - also note that, in answer to your first question, you can compare C++ string objects simply with ==, !=, < and >, and read a line with getline (need fixing in VC6):

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

int main()
{
std::string str;
std::getline(std::cin, str);

if(str == "foo") std::cout << "you typed 'foo'." << std::endl;
}

This has the added benefit that you don't have to specify a string size beforehand.

“Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.”
— Brian W. Kernighan (C programming language co-inventor)

[edited by - Fruny on February 29, 2004 10:29:45 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!