how can i make screenshots from my fullscreen game?

Started by
7 comments, last by BiGF00T 20 years, 1 month ago
normally i can make screenshots just by pressing the print key and then copy them into photoshop or paint... today i wanted to send a pic of my work to a friend but all i get after the printkeypress+pastetophotoshop is the normal windows desktop that is _behind_ my dxwindow why? and how can i make screenshots of my game? at the current state it doesnt matter because there is not much to see but that doesnt matter... sooner or later i''ll need screenshots! thx BiGF00T
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
Advertisement
You might want to check out this article: Generating a Screenshot in DirectX 8.1.
perfect
thx for the fast reply.
thats what i need.
Now get down on your hands and knees and start repeating "Open Source Good, M$ Evil", smacking your head against the pavement after each repetition. Once you have completed your training you may change your first name to GNU/, to show that you are free from the slavery of the closed source world. -Michalson
Thats tight, but now i hafta ask (because frankly i was wanting to do the same thing) what you think the best way of storing the last number screenshot, in an ini? somehow searching the folder and finding the highest number? (another thing im curious about, how do u know whats in a folder without knowing the file names of everything? )
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
maybe u could make a screenshot folder and simply count the files in there.. or the ini file thing.. or something else but these 2 seem to be not too hard to make
I wrote an article and had a complete screen shot system setup with watermarking, video, low res screen shots, hi-res screen shots, and it supported DirectX and OpenGL (It didn''t use glGetPixels() or GetFrontBuffer()), but they never posted it!?!

Anyway, I created a "Screen Shot Manager" that handled all of that. It''s something simple, but can be tricky.

Here''s the code of how I did it:

Function to see if a certain screen shot exsists:
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------//--//--ScreenShotExists(*)//--Version: 1.0//--//------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------bool SCREENSHOTSYSTEM::ScreenShotExists(const char* Filename){	WIN32_FIND_DATA FindData;//	//--Make sure a valid filename is passed in	if(Filename == NULL)	{		//--Not valid, return false		return false;	}//	//--Try to find the file	HANDLE FileHandle = FindFirstFile(Filename, &FindData);//	//--If the file handle turned out to be INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE,	//--then the screen shot does not exist	bool Exists = (FileHandle != INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE ? true : false);//	//--Close the file	FindClose(FileHandle);//	//--Return the result	return Exists;}

Function to strip the directory off:
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------//--//--StripDirectoryFromFilename(*)//--Version: 1.0//--//------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------void SCREENSHOTSYSTEM::StripDirectoryFromFilename(char* Filename){	char Buffer[256];//	//--Make sure a valid filename is passed in	if(Filename == NULL)	{		return;	}	else	{		//--Copy the filename to the buffer		sprintf(Buffer, "%s", Filename);	}//	//--See if the filename contains a directory separator	char* InString = strrchr(Buffer, ''\\'');//	//--It does	if(InString)	{		//--Copy the file title to the filename		strcpy(Filename, (InString + 1));		return;	}//	//--See if the filename contains this kind of directory seperator	InString = strrchr(Buffer, ''/'');//	//--It does	if(InString)	{		//--Copy the file title to the filename		strcpy(Filename, (InString + 1));	}}

Functions to strip the extension off:
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------//--//--StripExtensionFromFilename(*)//--Version: 1.0//--//------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------void SCREENSHOTSYSTEM::StripExtensionFromFilename(char* Filename){	int  Position = 0;	char Extension[5];	char Buffer[256];//	//--If the filename is valid and it length is >= 4	if(Filename && strlen(Filename) >= 4)	{		//--Copy the last 4 characters the the extension		strcpy(Extension, &Filename[strlen(Filename) - 4]);//		//--Add the null terminator		Extension[strlen(Extension)] = ''\0'';	}	else	{		//--Not valid, return		return;	}//	//--If it has a valid extension on it	if(Extension[0] == ''.'')	{		//--Loop through every character except the extension		for(unsigned int ID = 0; ID < strlen(Filename) - 4; ID++)		{			//--Copy the current character to the buffer			Buffer[Position] = Filename[ID];//			//--Accumulate the buffer position			Position++;		}//		//--Add the null terminator		Buffer[Position] = ''\0'';//		//--Copy the modified character array to the filename		strcpy(Filename, Buffer);	}}

And the heart of the whole thing:
//------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------//--//--GetValidFilename(*)//--Version: 1.0//--//------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------void SCREENSHOTSYSTEM::GetValidFilename(char* ValidFilename, char* Filename, bool InMovieMode){	int NewIndex = 1;//	//--Make sure the filenames are valid	if(ValidFilename == NULL || Filename == NULL)	{		return;	}//	if(InMovieMode == true)	{		//--Try this filename to see if it exists		sprintf(ValidFilename, "Screen Shots\\%s.avi", Filename);	}	else	{		//--Try this filename to see if it exists		sprintf(ValidFilename, "Screen Shots\\%s.bmp", Filename);	}//	//--See if this screen shot already exists	if(ScreenShotExists(ValidFilename) == true)	{		//--Keep looping until we get a valid filename		while(ScreenShotExists(ValidFilename) == true)		{			if(InMovieMode == true)			{				//--Create the new filename as discussed in the article _[###]				sprintf(ValidFilename, "Screen Shots\\%s_%0003d.avi", Filename, NewIndex);			}			else			{				//--Create the new filename as discussed in the article _[###]				sprintf(ValidFilename, "Screen Shots\\%s_%0003d.bmp", Filename, NewIndex);			}//			//--Accumulate the index			NewIndex++;		}	}}

Then to use just call it like this:
void SCREENSHOTSYSTEM::SnapScreenShot(char* Filename, SCREENSHOTRESOLUTION& Resolution, int ResolutionID, bool UseTransparentColor, WATERMARKTRANSPARENTCOLOR& TransparentColor){char* ValidFilename = new char[1024];char* TempFilename  = new char[1024];//        //--Validate the filenames	if(Filename == NULL || ValidFilename == NULL || TempFilename == NULL)	{		return;	}//        //--Copy the filename	strcpy(TempFilename, Filename);//	//--Strip the directory off of the filename if one exists	StripDirectoryFromFilename(TempFilename);//	//--Strip the file extension off of the filename if one is on there	StripExtensionFromFilename(TempFilename);//	//--Get a valid filename to save the screen shot to	GetValidFilename(ValidFilename, TempFilename);//        //--Snap the screen shot and save it using the        //--ValidFilename. This will rename the files like:        //--SShot001.bmp, SShot002.bmp, SShot003.bmp, etc. in        //--a directory called "Screen Shots"

-UltimaX-
Ariel Productions

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"
BTW, heres a few examples of what it will do:
If you type:
SnapScreenShot("SomeFolder\\SomeFolder2\\SShot.bmp");

And you save 4 screen shots you will end up with:
Screen Shots\SShot.bmp
Screen Shots\SShot_001.bmp
Screen Shots\SShot_002.bmp
Screen Shots\SShot_003.bmp

:OR:
If you type:
SnapScreenShot("SShot.bmp"); and your in movie mode, you'll get:
Screen Shots\SShot.avi
Screen Shots\SShot_001.avi
Screen Shots\SShot_002.avi
Screen Shots\SShot_003.avi

It's not the best, but it works pretty good. When you actually publish the game the users wont choose the directory to save them so thats why I defaulted them to the "Screen Shots" directory.

EDIT
Forgot the '_' Ooops

Best of luck,
-UltimaX-
Ariel Productions

[edited by - UltimaX on February 29, 2004 10:07:56 PM]
Sweet thanx
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
You''re Welcome

-UltimaX-
Ariel Productions

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement