What do they use to design cars?

Started by
14 comments, last by bzroom 20 years, 1 month ago
Because im discussing the design of a program, that is general, as in not related to games.

Are there any tutorials for that kind of mathematical representation? It's one of those things where you can imagine it, and as soon as you try to write it down or put it into code you realize how little you understand about it.

What is this form of modeling called? I have nothing to search with.

edit: I've found what im looking for, I searched for solid modeling and found that the technique is called csg, constructive solid geometry. Its defining multiple primitives and their boolean interations.

[edited by - honayboyz on March 1, 2004 3:47:36 PM]
Advertisement

I think I might start making this program tonight but I was undecided as how I should do it. I dont know MFC and am not sure how much i''d like to learn it.

Would it be worth it to learn mfc, or should I just make a base button and menu class in opengl to do my interface?

Since this is version 1 I think I should just get it working and in version 2 I will add plugin support and may switch to mfc.

I think the opengl aproach may be better anyways, Is it possible to create very graphical programs like windows media player in mfc (wow that was probably a stupid question). I want my buttons to be colorful and round like wmp. So for each buttons texture Id have a up down and over image.
A .net program would be a very good choice here

As for the solids modeling, yes, it is usually called CSG.
It is very maths-intensive, for example, to find a bevel point between three arbitrary surfaces (as to bevel or fillet their shared corner) and there are a lot of these issues involved in CSG modeling. However, basic operations can easily be visualized by tessellating the solids to polygons and then just splitting the polygons against each other as needed.

Professional surface engineering systems often use a technique called Boundary Representation (or b-rep) to visualize the solid geometry data. For example, a box is defined by it's boundary planes, six of them to be exact. Now, should you want to extrude one of the sides of the cube, you'd only move one boundary plane, or you could replace it with some other equation than a plane altogether. And by adding or replacing other boundary conditions, you can represent any imaginable solid piece.

I'm very interested in solid modeling techniques - should you have some direct questions, I'm happy to help However, I'm not particularly good in specific maths involved :/

-Nik

[edited by - Nik02 on March 2, 2004 5:27:20 AM]

Niko Suni

What would be the benefits of using a .net program. I know the differnce bettwen vb6 and vb.net, but whats the differnce bettwen c++6 and c++.net, or did you mean using mfc?
Between MFC and .net, I''d choose .net in a heartbeat.

Language is your own choice, when using it, while MFC is quite strictly c++ only.

This is not the point why I recommend .net though; the framework makes Windows development extremely fast and flexible, and that alone is a great reason to use .net, were it the only point (and it''s definitely not the only).

-Nik

Niko Suni

I feel I should warn that for an FEA program you''re letting yourself in for a heck of a lot of work! FWIW there are a number of relatively sophisticated open source fea/fem packages about (google for them!) - you''d probably be as well to design a graphical front end for one of those....

One book that I found useful in terms of general discussion about chassis design is "sports and racing car chassis design" by Mike Costin (the "cos" part of cosworth if you follow the european racing scenes), it was written in the 1960''s, but in terms of what you can home build it''ll give you some good ideas.

I see you''re from the states....hmmm. You probably haven''t seen them, but do you know what a Lotus 7 is? its a perfect sports car in so much as its a basic but road legal racing car - its an old design, but still much loved here in the uk (now produced by caterham as the Caterham 7) and also much imitated. I think you should look at it as it would be a very practical car to copy as a first self built car and you''d stand a good chance of finishing it. It does also look awesome (!) look for some pics and I''m sure you''ll get the idea - people will look...Also it is a very light & rigid design - you don''t need much to get it to move extremely quickly. A guy I came across wrote a DIY guide to building something like it from scratch - his name is Ron Champion (I can''t remember the title though - but its along the lines of "build a sports car for £250"). I probably ought to mention that Colin Chapman who designed the original Lotus 7 is a personal hero - he brought many inovations into Formula 1 (Cooper did rear engine first, but lotus popularised it both in F1 and in the states in the Indy 500), ground effect etc....

Good luck - I''m sure you''ll have fun!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement