head up display

Started by
6 comments, last by critical 20 years, 1 month ago
i want to display a hud in my d3d game, what is the best way to display these graphics? billboarding? or is there another way? [edited by - critical on March 1, 2004 1:36:17 AM]
Advertisement
www.andypike.com

Look up 2d in 3d.

or you could just draw XYZRHW vertices, whatever floats your boat
Personally I would use the ID3DXSprite interface. It supports screen coordinates, alpha blending and it''s fast and simple to use.
thx for the stuff of www.andypike.com ive printedit already, and it really helps, thx again!!
quote:Original post by Fidelio66
Personally I would use the ID3DXSprite interface. It supports screen coordinates, alpha blending and it''s fast and simple to use.
I second that. That AndyPike tutorial was written for DX8, before ID3DXSprite was created. The sprite interface is much easier that doing all that other stuff. It probably will take less than 15 lines of code for you to get a bitmap rendering on-screen (and simple lines of code, none of those real complex ones).

Dustin Franklin
Mircrosoft DirectX MVP
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
yesterday at home ive done this the way mentioned in this andypike tutorial, its working... but when you tell me a sprite is better way to do this, is it also faster?? and are there also tutorials on this?
Sprites are VERY easy to use, its basically a quad wrapped up all nice for yah, id use it, on my mid- high end machine and quite a few sprites, im getting ~ 6000 fps, another plus is you can rotate them very easily, so you could create some cool animated hud effects with that and the scaling ability, look on msdn, its pretty self explanitory
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
I''m gonna give another vote for the ID3DXSprite interface. I use it for all my HUD and front-end graphics. Very clean, very easy to use, and pretty friggin'' fast.

Ryan Buhr
Reactor Interactive, LLC.
rbuhr@reactorinteractive.net

Ryan Buhr

Technical Lead | Sector 13

Reactor Interactive, LLC

Facebook | Twitter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement