• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jm_hewitt

Advice: Best way for shadowing?

This topic is 5195 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am currently trying to evaluate the best method to organize my data to implement shadow volumes using the technique described in an article at this site Cg Shadow Volumes by Razvan Surdulescu. This will be my first Cg program and so it took me awhile to understand how the whole method works in the code. I could follow the theory with relative ease. Anyway, basically the idea is that you create a quadrilateral for each edge using ploygon normals. So I was trying to decide the best way to organize the data, keeping in mind that most of the data will be buildings, water towers and other cityscape objects. My current idea is to have a list of vertices for a triangl strip that draws the whole model, then a second list of GL_QUADS that are for all the edge polys for the shadow volumes. They could point to the same vertex buffers, but normal buffers i''d have seperate. One buffer I want to average out the two normals of each poly to have a smoother blend on the model rendering, and hten the polygon normals needed for the shadow volumes. This would essently mean then for each object rendering a triangle strip buffer and the a quad buffer. Does anyone think there will be a great performance hit from this or have a better suggestion to blend it all togehter?

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!