• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Consesus of tools and sdk's used for game development

This topic is 5104 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What are the tools and libraries or sdks you use for the process of a 3D game? More specifically, what do you use for: 3D modeling 2D modeling Animation Programming(language) OpenGL or DirectX What do you use for sound? What do you use for networking? What steps do you take before beginning the development of a game? Does 3D max work better with openGL or Direct3D? Thanks for the input.

Advertisement
Everyone uses something different, thats like asking "What kind of car do you drive."

Programming wise, I've been using SDL lately. Its got support for OpenGL, networking with sockets, and sound
http://www.libsdl.org/index.php

I don't do much 3D modeling, but Blender, and Art Of Illusion are pretty popular editors. Both are free and open source.
http://www.blender3d.org/
http://www.artofillusion.org/

As for the steps before starting work on the game. Go search for Design Documents in the articles section.

[edited by - Onemind on March 4, 2004 11:32:09 AM]

quote:
Original post by Onemind
Everyone uses something different, thats like asking "What kind of car do you drive."

I think that is the point of his question. He wants to get an idea of the software that everyone else uses.

2D modeling Paintbrush & PaintShop Pro 6.0

Programming(language) I use Visual C++ 6.0. I may make the jump to .NET soon, and maybe even try my hand w/ C#. I am also thinking about playing with Python or Lua.

OpenGL or DirectX DirectX 9.0

What do you use for sound? DirectSound w/ WAV files & OggVorbis

What do you use for networking? nothing yet (AFAIK, most people use sockets, but DirectPlay is getting better)

For programming i use Visual C++ .NET or Eclipse for Java programming. I don''t do any modelling but for 2D art like menus and stuff i use Paint Shop Pro which i find a lot easier than Photoshop. In terms of APIs I use FMOD for sound and SDL for everything else.

3D modelling: gmax (just until I get 3DS Max on student licence)
2D modelling: Paint Shop Pro 7
Animation: gmax
Programming(language): Microsoft Visual C++ 6
OpenGL or DirectX: OpenGL
What do you use for sound: Nothing at the moment
What do you use for networking: Sockets

Before I start a major project, I do a lot of writing. I figure out the program architecture before (I made the mistake of not doing this with my level editor, and it completely screwed me over). For smaller projects, I just plan it in my head.

And 3DS Max works equally well with OpenGL or Direct3D. Both use pretty much the same methods for rendering meshes (display lists, vertex arrays, etc.), and 3DS Max can optimize meshes for this (conversion to triangle strips, etc).

Windows 95 - 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch
to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor,
written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition.

[edited by - iNsAn1tY on March 4, 2004 12:27:10 PM]

(note, not all of this is my department, i am but a code monkey, but for the rest i''m pretty sure that the people are/will be using)

3D modeling - 3DSM (probably also a custom tool(s) to deal with the material shader system, landscape painting and generation of space enviroments)
2D modeling - Photoshop or PSP
Programming(language) - C++ for main engine, Lua scripting interface
OpenGL or DirectX - OpenGL (everything upto and including 1.5 and probably the OGLSlang as well, once i get my book, hehe)
What do you use for sound? - planning on using OpenAL with OggVorbis
What do you use for networking? - Sockets

Step wise, i''m planning out sections of the engine atm, mostly involving lots of scribbles and long baths to consider things, unlike pervious projects this one is going to be BIG so i''m bothering to write stuff down (got into the habit of it at work as well). One of the other guys on the project is writing a design doc for game play and is also knocking out models and map ideas.

Here's a rough picture of what the bulk of the commercial games industry uses, obviously there are exceptions but I'd say 90% of commercial games use these tools:

3D modeling - Mostly 3ds max or Maya, some Softimage XSI

2D modeling - Photoshop dominates, a lot of programmers use Paintshop Pro for quick tests though.

Animation - Usually use the 3D modelling package's animation facilities, often sold as an add on (Character Studio for 3ds max for example).

Programming(language) - Engine code mostly C++, Visual Studio .NET for PC and Xbox, gcc or SN Systems compilers for GameCube and PS2. Consoles (particularly PS2) often require some assembly programming for small sections of code. Many games use a higher level scripting language for some gameplay coding, choice varies but often Python, Lua or a custom scripting language. Increasingly HLSL or Cg are being used for shaders, assembly languages Pixel and Vertex shaders are still common as well.

OpenGL or DirectX - The majority of PC games now use Direct3D but there is still a significant minority using OpenGL. Most PC games using OpenGL will still use DirectX for sound and input. On consoles of course things are different.

What do you use for sound? - Most PC games will use DirectSound, audio middleware is quite popular.

What do you use for networking? - DirectPlay has never really taken off, most games' networking code will be in house using low-level OS networking APIs.

Does 3D max work better with openGL or Direct3D? - Do you mean does the 3ds max renderer work better in OpenGL mode or Direct3D mode or do you mean does content generated with max work better with an engine using D3D or OGL? If you mean the latter, there's no difference. If you mean the former, I've heard that the drivers are usually more stable with OGL but D3D exposes more functionality.

Most games will also use a variety of custom tools for various tasks, including level editing, material / shader editing, import / export / optimization of models and textures, etc.

[edited by - mattnewport on March 4, 2004 1:52:16 PM]

3D modeling
3DSMAX (Using an evaluation copy, but I usually get all my modelling done in a month )

2D modeling
The GIMP & Photoshop

Programming(language)
C++, using Emacs as editor and GNU C++ compiler

OpenGL or DirectX
OpenGL, mostly because I do my programming on a Linux box.

What do you use for sound?
Fmod

What do you use for networking?
Plain old socket programming

What steps do you take before beginning the development of a game?
Usually taking notes of which features I want, then I try to structure up which classes I need and how they should interact and put it down on paper.

Does 3D max work better with openGL or Direct3D?
3DS produces a bunch of vertices which it's up to you to process in your program, which API you use to render them doesn't matter.

hm..on second thought, OpenGL and D3D usues different coordinate systems (different handedness) which might cause a problem if the standard coordinate system in 3DS is different from the one in the API you've choosen. Can't for the world remember which system 3d studio uses though

-Luctus

Statisticly seen, most things happens to other people.
[Mail]

[edited by - Luctus on March 4, 2004 2:56:57 PM]

3D modeling: 3DSMax 5 / Alias 5

2D modeling: Photoshop CS / Paintshop Pro 8.0 / The Gimp

Animation: 3DSMax 5 / Alias 5

Programming(language): C++ ( Visual Studio .NET 2k3 / g++ ), Python

OpenGL or DirectX: Both

What do you use for sound? : Fmod, RAD Miles

What do you use for networking? : Self-written stuff ( Berkeley Sockets / Winsock ).

What steps do you take before beginning the development of a game: Write out design specs, what tools/code I can reuse, create a project plan with milestones, artistic style considerations, etc etc.

Does 3D max work better with openGL or Direct3D? : There is no difference. A lot of the quality depends on modelling skills, the exporter being good, etc which is completely independent of OpenGL and D3D.

[edited by - zfod on March 4, 2004 7:22:50 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
i work at a console game studio... a brief rundown of the tools we use:

Graphics API: Criterion''s Renderware (a helpful cross platform API)
Programming Language: C/C++, some assembly
Compiler: Codewarrior command line compiler and IDE, VC++ 6 for tools.
Sound: custom library built ontop of console SDKs
Networking: nothing

3D Modelling/Animation: Maya + Renderware exporters (customized)
2D: Photoshop

Game Editor: Renderware Studio

3D modeling

Maya & Xsi

2D modeling

photoshop

Animation

Maya & Xsi export into a custom text format, the next stage takes all of those little ascii files and combines them into a binary character file containing stripped down versions of the data. Transitions and blending params are set up in a custom tool. A state machine determines the state of the current animation.

Programming(language)

C/C++/Lua/ASM

OpenGL or DirectX

Both

What do you use for sound?

fmod & directX.

What do you use for networking?

sockets

What steps do you take before beginning the development of a game?

lots of planning.

Does 3D max work better with openGL or Direct3D?

won''t make any difference.

• Advertisement