• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badmoon

Converting a point in 3D space to a 2D point on screen

This topic is 5279 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is anyone aware of exactly how Direct3D converts a point in 3D space to a 2D screen position? I''m trying to write some code that can produce the same 2D screen coordinates that Direct3D''s geometry pipeline outputs given a 3D vertex. At the moment what I do is first multiply the 3D point by the view matrix (I dont use the world matrix so I don''t need to worry about it) and then multiply the result by the projection matrix. And then I multiply this result with the following matrix w 0 0 0 0 -h 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 h 0 1 where w and h are the width and height of the screen. Say the result I get from this is (x, y, z, w). Then the final 2D screen point should be ( x/w, y/w ) BUT THIS DOES NOT WORK!! I used http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndir3d/html/d3dxfrm6.asp as a guide. Somebody please help!

Advertisement
without looking too close and double checking. if the projection matrix is returning a value between -1,1...

anyway, the easiest way i found to convert screen/world coords requires keeping your own "camera" matrix (ie. the inverse of the view matrix). the dot product of (point-camera.position) with each vector (right/up/forward) results in view space coords. dividing the new x and y by z return the positions on a plane 1 unit in front of the viewer. the size of this plane is:

height=2*tan(fov/2), width=2*height*aspect

so x'=x/(width*z) and y'=y/(height*z) are between -.5,.5 and
xs=(x'+.5)*(resolutionX-1) and ys=(y'+.5)*(resolutionY-1) should be the screen coordinates of the point.

of course this requires a matrix-camera and calculating height and width when the projection matrix changes.

so all together:
vec3 p=Point-Cam.Pos;
z=dot(p,Cam.Fwd);
x=.5f + dot(p,Cam.Right)/(z*width);
x*=(resX-1);
y=.5f + dot(p,Cam.Up)/(z*height);
y*=(resY-1);

opengl has gluproject and gluunproject to do this, so im more or less sure d3d should have similar functions too.
(D3DXVec3Project, D3DXVec3Unproject)

[edited by - Trienco on March 4, 2004 2:24:42 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!