• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tayete

TANSTAAFL: Any updates to your book?

This topic is 5188 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Tanstaafl, I have just bought your book (Isn''t it great it has survived all this time where others just appear and disappear from the catalogues) and though I was aware it was obsolete in some things concerning to DirectX, I chose it to get a clear idea of what I am going to find in the isometric world. Just one question: do you plan to review it with the new DirectX point of view? (sprites as 3D plains, etc...) Thanks a lot, both for the book and for your nice tutorials. "Nec spes, nec metus" - Gladiators'''' motto

Advertisement
neither I nor my publisher have brought up doing a second edition for IGPWDX, although it would indeed be necessary at this point.

just to check, though, i just shot off and email to my publisher. we shall see.

hey ernest,

just thought id say i love your SDL book, and i plan on getting the tile book soon. actually, i think i just lost my SDL book a few days ago , so i might have to buy another one of those. anyway, keep up the good work. i HOPE you write another book on SDL again, maybe combining the tile/SDL thing, or doing something different, maybe starting openGL with SDL or something, that would be great. anyway, good read.

Guest Anonymous Poster
how about any sourcce code updatesd for your book Tanstaafl
where did they go
i can''t find them

well, i got a response. my aquisitions editor is going to look into it. the answer will be based on sales of the old version, so my hopes aren''t that high.

Just curious...what''s the average sale of a book like the one you wrote? Can it be known?

Another question, that maybe someone can answer: what''s the average sale (in units sold) of a "pure" strategy game (like Hps simulations ones, matrix games, talonsoft, shrapnel, etc...)? Anyone?

TANSTAAFL, if you did do a new edition of the book you could expand on what you put in the first one, even if it was 1 or 2 chapters at the start, sort of like a review of what''s new in the Iso world for 2D.

I''m not starting to learn 3D trig just to do a new Iso engine, esp when the one I''m using now is perfect for the stuff I want to do, for the forseeable future at least.

When I find my code in tons of trouble,
Friends and colleages come to me,
Speaking words of wisdom:
"Write in C."

If there happens to be a second edition, it would really be more of a rewrite than a revision, and would incorporate as well the contents of Focus On 2D in Direct3D. In addition, I''d spend more time on the D3DX functions and classes. But of course the primary focus would still be tile based world representations and orthographic projections.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!