• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sup

I want to learn to code games.... Where do I start?

This topic is 5369 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What should I learn first? Where do I learn how? I already know what the smart types of games are to make first, but, frankly, I don''t have the patience, so, once I learn how, I''d like to start with the near inpossible task (for a beginner) of a top down shooter (2d). So where do I start?

Advertisement
Click the "view forum FAQ" link above the first post. In there will be info (and a link the the "Start Here" page).

Tadd
- WarbleWare

I''ve been looking around on this site, and with google, and I keep seeing this book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0672323699/ref=pd_sxp_elt_l1/102-7069298-0423358

Is it a good place to start?

quote:
Original post by Sup
What should I learn first? Where do I learn how?

I already know what the smart types of games are to make first, but, frankly, I don't have the patience, so, once I learn how, I'd like to start with the near inpossible task (for a beginner) of a top down shooter (2d). So where do I start?

dude,

there a reason people start out with the smaller games (like pong and tetris). its simply because you would have no clue on how to make anything bigger. you need to learn how to crawl before you can walk. its that simple. if you actually make a top down shooter as your FIRST get EVER, i would like to shake your hand. youd probably be one of the first people to ever accomplish such a task. (do you think all of us make pong clones because we just really like pong?)

oh, and dont bother picking up Tricks of the win game programming guru's. im not too familiary with it, but im sure it assumes at least a DECENT working knowledge of C++. Getting that book you might as well throw your money out the window.

learn c++. work with it for a little bit (at least a few months). make a text based game or some other sort of decently sized program. then try to learn an API. if you try to rush through things, i will promise you, you will just be wasting your time and getting yourself frustrated.

btw, im in-patient, also, so i know how it is. game programming (and programming in general) requires patiants.ive been working on that. try not to be like a doctor with no work.

good luck man!!!!

[edited by - graveyard filla on March 4, 2004 4:37:39 PM]

As graveyard filla said "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" will be too advanced for you.

Go through the beginners guide, you will find valuable information for beginners as well as some recommendations on good books to get you started.

[edited by - tiffany_smith on March 4, 2004 4:49:11 PM]

Start easy, I think one of the most important thing is to finish the work you started. I started big which gave me a lot of experince over all but I wish that I had started a little more simple. Good luck :D

1. learn a programming language
2. learn OOP concept
3. learn data structures and algorithms
4. pick APIs for your graphics/input/sound
5. learn software engineering
6. make a game.

quote:
1. learn a programming language
2. learn OOP concept
3. learn data structures and algorithms
4. pick APIs for your graphics/input/sound
5. learn software engineering
6. make a game.

You forgot:

7. ???
8. Profit!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!