• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Finding my computer's IP Address on a local network

This topic is 5011 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a 4 port linksys router and would like to find out what my Local IP address is on each computer. This is not the IP address broadcasted to the internet, but rather the address on my LAN. According to the manual it should be something like 192.168.1.***, but i cant figure out what it is. The computer I''m on now is plugged into the third port in the back of the router.

Advertisement
Go to Start-> Run and type in "Cmd" to bring up the command prompt.

Then type in "ipconfig"

It will display your current IP, subnet mask, and gateway information. That IP will be your local IP.

Do you mean programmatically or just any method? Either way you should probably mention the operating system of the host system.

On Windows you might try ipconfig or winipcfg at the command line (which one you use depends on which windows version). *nix usually support ifconfig, IIRC.

Thanks ChaosPhoenix, My IP address is 192.168.1.101, and my default gateway is 192.168.1.1. What is a default gateway if i may ask?

"default gateway" is the address you talk "through" to get to the external world. so you essentially send packets to that address and it figures out where to send them so they reach wherever you requested them to ready. usually the default gateway is the router or whatever (more often than not it''s your DHCP server).

-me

No. You will get a different IP address for each computer, if they''re hooked up to the same router. Else the router couldn''t tell them apart.

you can also go:

Start
cmd
Run

tracert any_web_url

and watch as the data hops from your computer to the specified address, that should give you all the info on all the equipment in the tcp\ip pipeline

Dredd

"To die with your sword still in its sheath is most regrettable" -- Miyomoto Musashi

• Advertisement