• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kieran

Tilt landscape relative to camera

This topic is 5191 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am coding a monkeyball style game. Click here for a video of it in action! I am implementing the control. It is working as can be seen in this video. The problem I have is that the tilt of the land is currently relative to the world coordinate system. It needs to be relative to the direction of the camera. This is my code for tilting the land so far:
// rotate land and water about ball
D3DXMATRIXA16 rottemp1, rottemp2;
D3DXMatrixTranslation(&rottemp2, m_Phs->m_p[0], m_Phs->m_p[1], m_Phs->m_p[2]);
D3DXMatrixRotationYawPitchRoll(&rottemp1, 0.0f, FCtrl->JoyY, FCtrl->JoyX);
D3DXMatrixMultiply(&rottemp2, &rottemp1, &rottemp2);
D3DXMatrixTranslation(&rottemp1, -m_Phs->m_p[0], -m_Phs->m_p[1], -m_Phs->m_p[2]);
m_PositionLand = rottemp2;
m_PositionWater = rottemp2;  
That works great if the camera is pointing the correct way on the landscape (as you will have seen in the above video). I have written code to extract the angle of the camera relative to [1 0 0]. This has been tested and works:
// get direction camera is pointing
D3DXVECTOR3 direc = m_cam_lookat - m_cam_position;
direc.y = 0.0f;
D3DXVec3Normalize(&direc, &direc);
// get angle rotated round the y axis
D3DXVECTOR3 forw = D3DXVECTOR3(1.0f,0.0f,0.0f);
FLOAT cosangle = D3DXVec3Dot(&direc, &forw);
// make full 360 degrees
FLOAT angle = acos(cosangle);
if (direc[2] > 0) angle = (D3DX_PI - angle) + D3DX_PI;   
Now how can I change the first bit of code to use this so that the land tilts relative to the direction the camera is looking in? It sounds so simple, but I have been scratching my head for a few hours now and I cant seem to get my head around it. Thanks in advance [edited by - Kieran on March 4, 2004 5:31:18 PM]

Advertisement
in the friendly world of relativity, I''d think you''ll be better off keeping the whole universe as it is, and rotate the camera rotate the gravity vector according to the camera up vector, for example.

back on subject, you have the axis of rotation (the direction of the camera), and the angle required, create a rotation matrix with those two.

D3DXMatrixRotationAxis(&Matrix, Camera.Direction, tiltangle);

Thanks for the function idea. I have never seen that one before. I was under the impression that if you want to rotate around an arbitury axis, you have to use quaternions. The code is now:

// get direction camera is pointing
D3DXVECTOR3 direc = m_cam_position - m_cam_lookat;
direc.y = 0.0f;
D3DXVec3Normalize(&direc, &direc);
// get forward tilt axis
D3DXVECTOR3 ft;
D3DXVec3Cross(&ft, &m_cam_updir, &direc);
D3DXVec3Normalize(&ft, &ft);

// rotate land and water about ball
D3DXMATRIXA16 rottemp1, rottemp2;
// translate
D3DXMatrixTranslation(&rottemp2, m_Phs->m_p[0], m_Phs->m_p[1], m_Phs->m_p[2]);
// rotate
D3DXMatrixRotationAxis(&rottemp1, &direc, FCtrl->JoyX);
D3DXMatrixRotationAxis(&rottemp1, &ft, FCtrl->JoyY);
3DXMatrixMultiply(&rottemp2, &rottemp1, &rottemp2);
// translate
D3DXMatrixTranslation(&rottemp1, -m_Phs->m_p[0], -m_Phs->m_p[1], -m_Phs->m_p[2]);
// store
m_PositionLand = rottemp2;
m_PositionWater = rottemp2;

As for the whole relativity argument, I agree that in general it would be better to do it that way, but as my world is very simple, its just as easy to rotate the world (with a slight performace hit I accept). I will try adapting my physics to how it is now. If that doesnt work, I will try your idea.

Thanks again!

[edited by - Kieran on March 7, 2004 12:47:30 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!