• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dko

Need help finding functions

This topic is 5225 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ive been looking around some mud sorce code and somethimes I come a cross funtions im not shure how they work. I use visual C++ 6.0. There are so many different files (.c/.h) that it makes finding these functions a chore. Also find is not very good if you don''t now the return type or the argument types as it shows you spot where the function is used. Is there a better way to go thru and find these function definitions.

Advertisement
I''m sure you''re supposed to hold shift or control or some other key and click on the function name to go to the function. I don''t use that IDE, so I''m not really sure.

As far as i know you have to enable browse information in your project settings (which will slow things down a bit), but then you can press some hotkey (Ctrl-G?) on any function and studio will jump to the declaration.

Yeah, enable browse info, rebuild the project, then you can right-click a function call and choose to go to either the definition (usually in the .c/.cpp file) or the declaration (.h file).

If you have Visual Assist (http://www.wholetomato.com/), it can be set to show you the return type & parameter info just by hovering the mouse cursor over the function call. It''s also got a ton of other really handy features, I''d highly recommend it.

Not sure if there''s a way to do it if you''re unable to build the project, though. Guess you''d have to "Find in files" and then scan through the results for the actual definition/declaration.

Ben H

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!