• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DrjonesDW3d

[java] Images in 1.5

This topic is 5190 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m using the 1.5 beta version of Java. So far I love it, it had a 20% performance increase in a very computational intensive program over 1.4.2, using the same bytecode. However, it doesn''t seem like images work like they used too. I am loading one using the standard method to create an Image, and I know the code works, because it loads fine under 1.4.2. However, under 1.5 the image never seems to get loaded. It always has a size of -1. The same code works perfect if interpreted with the 1.4.2 jre, but not the 1.5 (for both I compiled with 1.5''s javac). Anyone know the problem or solution?

Advertisement
Report the bug and wait for beta 2. They tried to clean up all the image code and introduced a lot of bugs. I have run into three bugs in this beta and all are already fixed in beta 2.

"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."
Thomas Jefferson

I guess I should also mention that I am doing this in Linux using the Linux JRE. I haven''t tried it in Windows yet.

Has anyone else tried the 1.5 JRE? What are your results?

quote:
Original post by DrjonesDW3d
Has anyone else tried the 1.5 JRE? What are your results?

so far all my experiences with it has been positive... haven''t encountered a single bug as yet, knock on wood :o

Hi,

what about using the Java Advanced Imaging API (javax.imageio)? That package can load PNGs and JPEGs without problems, although I didn''t use it with Tiger (J2SE v1.5) yet.

If you do not need to maintain JDK 1.1 compatibility I''d suggest javax.imageio.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!