All possible game ideas have already been done!

Started by
47 comments, last by grbrg 20 years ago
you are just seeing music as diverse by harmony, there is rhythm and tone to consider. tone is the quality of sound such as the way a guitar sounds different from a flute. also some classical composers came up with micro tonal harmony, although this is mostly dissonant its something to consider.

on the subject of rhythm humans do have a limit as to what they can play. computers on the other hand can play any rhythm, though currrently they play it to perfect and we can notice that a computer is playing it. just need to add a very small amount of time noise here to make it sound more human.

to come up with a new idea for a game is an act of genious. genious is a matter of perspective. so you have to come up with a new way of seeing it. i think currently we are waiting for technology to catch up with ideas. we are trying to make games more real right now.

in any field though i think that there is an exponential decay in the originality of new ideas as the field gets older.
Advertisement
You''re on crack. My game ideas have never been done before.
Yeah, whatever.

If you want to believe the flawed logic that everything has been done before, and if you think you should give up, then that''s great, go ahead and give up.

The rest of us will keep on trying to make new & innovative games.
Songs can have (theoretically) infinite length, making an infinite number of possibilities...

<- Cow Soft, free software I''ve made
"Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall." - Grizwald
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
"Everything that can be invented, has been invented." - 1899.

What your saying reminds me of this quote. New types of games do come out occasionaly, and there are usually plenty of games copying it in a short period of time, but they are still there none the less. Some recent games that pretty much created a new genre that i can think of are GTA 3, and tony hawk pro skater. And I''m sure soon enough a new creative game will come out and be quickly duplicated by all the major companies.
--------------------------http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/icons/icon51.gif ... Hammer time
Taken to the basics, everything in the world is made up of only three things (electrons, protons, neutrons) so everthing must be finite. Right? Taken to the even more basic level, everything is probably made up of one type of particle (some super-neutrino quarkon that hasn''t been discovered yet) so that means that there in fact are NO possiblities at all. Right?

It''s interesting how people are irrational.
"Quality games for quality people." - Company Motto
I think that the original poster has just been listening to the bare-naked-ladies too much and hasn''t played a wide enough variety of games.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
According to my calculations, there is exactly one more game idea that hasn''t been done before.
quote:Original post by Way Walker
Let''s see.

1024x768 resolution = 786432 pixels
24 bits of color = 16777216 colors
60 frames a second
let''s say, 90 minutes = 5400 seconds

So, there are only 4274901208793088000 different 90 minute movies that can be displayed in full screen on my monitor (granted, at the above resolution and color depth, but for the purposes of argument...)

That''s a running time of 384741108791377920000 minutes, or 6412351813189632000 hours, 267181325549568000 days, 731502602462883 years (year ~365.25 days), 731502 billions of years. And, if you were to generate 1 of these a second, that''s about 135.5 billion years. A quick search of the internet gives an extremely rough upper bound on the age of the universe as 20 billion years. Even "finite" doesn''t mean there''s any practical limit.

Anyway, there are only 17 wallpaper groups. Yep, 17. Thus, from a crystallographic perspective, there are only 17 interesting tesselating patterns. Open any book containing MC Escher''s artwork or go to a Mosque to find more than 17 (many more) different (and that''s not counting "subtle" variations, for most common definitions of "subtle") tesselating patterns. Or just go to a store that sells wallpaper to find many less than subtle variations, even if many of them are probably less than aesthetically pleasing.

The Calculation Should Be:
(# of Colors)^(# of Pixels)^(Frames per sec * sec)

quote:Original post by Diodor
According to my calculations, there is exactly one more game idea that hasn''t been done before.

i call dibbies!

--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement