DirectX Windowed App Question

Started by
2 comments, last by Swatter555 20 years, 1 month ago
I converted my DX app into windowed mode with menu resources and such. I noticed that just selecting a top level menu, without selecting an item stalls the app; meaning its not going through the game loop. The problem comes with my game being real-time multiplayer. I just cant have the game loop stalling when someone presses a top level menu. How can you detect this in order to pause the game loop? Is it just handling a message? If so, what message is it? Any advice would help
Advertisement
I''m just guessing, but when a menu is selected, that might send some sort of lost-focus message, and if any part of the code handles that, that could be the problem. Or maybe it''s your message-handling code... maybe you should post it.

Really, though, what are you doing with a Windows menu in a real-time game? Those menus can''t be used very quickly, compared to a nice custom in-game menu.

Well, I know a message is passed when the menu is first clicked (I''ve forgotten which one but you can check on MSDN) so you can run some code when that happens, if nothing else. The code could tell the other clients that you''re paused at the moment.

~CGameProgrammer( );

Screenshots of your games or desktop captures -- Upload up to four 1600x1200 screenshots of your projects, registration optional. View all existing ones in the archives..
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
Look up WM_ENTERMENULOOP.
Thanks for the info. This isnt a twitch real-time game, there are no problems that I can see using a windows menu. Although, I will probably use both custom menus and windows stuff. I just like the versatility of being able to choose.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement