Web programming questions #3 - frames Vs CSS-P

Started by
14 comments, last by d000hg 20 years, 1 month ago
Not really - isn''t using iframes just as ''bad'' as normal frames? I was intrigued how you got the green curvy border and green scroll bar when your source doesn''t seem to utilise any CSS headers or inline sytles.
Advertisement
frames are supported by most browsers theses days.

it was an issue back when they were not supported.

if a browser supports CSS then its gonna support frames.

The green outline was an image that I set as the table cell or tables background image.

You can use position:fixed to get the navbar staying on screen like a frame. Unfortunately this doesn''t work right in IE (what a shock), but the other browsers do it. I''ve been tempted to just tell IE users to get a clue, but I think it may be a better idea to use server-side script to spit out a frame for IE users and CSS for competent browsers.
Netscape users, please don''t look at this site. But if you are talking about scrolling areas d00hg, www.x-l-r-8.co.uk if you click on one of the main icons, it will take you into a page. In there, if the text goes beyond the size of the area the scroll buttons will work. This page is only formatted to work under IE so NS users won''t appreciate it! Is that the sort of thing you need?
A page with terrific examples of what can be done using CSS: <a href="http://www.csszengarden.com/">http://www.csszengarden.com/</a>.
The effect I want is exactly as can be found on my site - go to a page which is too long for the main frame and see how when you scroll down, the navbar stays at the top of the page. What I''m looking for is to do this without frames.
Alimonster:
It sounds like that''s what I want but if it''s not supported...
Are you talking about dynamically generating css files depending on the browser or just making a switch between frames+fileA.css or noframes+fileB.css - I''ve been wondering if you can use ASP/PHP to generate css files on the server at all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement