• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pull my demo down

This topic is 5095 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Please comment on my work and tell me what you would do to make it better
Get it here Its a Quake3 rip off with platform elements. Cheers [edited by - jonbell on March 11, 2004 4:36:26 AM] [edited by - jonbell on March 11, 2004 4:41:08 AM]

Advertisement
I would make that a link to your game, so people would be able to just click it (using simple HTML), add a short description as to what it is and what kind of computer you need, as well as perhaps a small picture of what to expect.

That'd what I would do, if I wanted many more people to try my game. :]

Edit: Now that I've tried it, it's a pretty cool game. It obviously still needs work, but I'm liked what I saw. How did you build that interface, with all the different things (entity trees, collision sphere rendering, etc. etc.)? What'd you use to create the windows? MFC? I want to create a 2D level editor in C++, but I've never done anything except fullscreen OpenGL games? :\ Thanks.

---
shurcooL`

[edited by - shurcool on March 5, 2004 4:21:12 PM]

Pretty sweet. I suppose having your game inside an editor makes it pretty easy to debug.

I would suggest working more on the collision. Also, if you added some background music... And some player sound FXs (If you have already, I must of missed it) that would add alot to it.

All in all, awesome work

I liked it. You should make the instructions clearer, though. Also, is the text supposed to be white on green? Or is the green a placeholder for transparency?

Well here is a critics point of view:

First of all let me tell you that is a good looking game.
But, Its not a good first person shooter.
It does not feel right, the camera feels like its floating not like its attached to the player. Also your control layout sucks, use W,S,A,D(standard movement for FPS) Also its easier to shoot with the SPACE bar than with Ctrl, switch those around. Other than that its a good start.

Thanks for your comments. To the guy who asked about the editor stuff, this is an editor build i can remove all the editor components with a differant build setting and all the editor is just Win32, i no like MFC.

The green text looks like an alpha problem i have. Did anyone else get a solid green background to the text? Its using a stenciil test to remove it but it seems some cards dont like it one bit.

I actually want to make the game more platform based when in 3rd person and shooty in first person but i take the point that its not a good 1st person shooter.

If a couple of people could post some framerates and specs i would really appreciate it. Cheers.

[edited by - jonbell on March 9, 2004 2:41:17 PM]

Nice game first off, you definitely need some background music and kill/death sound effects which will make it a whole lot better. I did find there was some problems with the collision as I was able to walk through some of the pillars, when i switched to first-person view the bullets wasn''t coming out of the gun - instead they was coming out to the left of the gun.

I averaged around 60 FPS, here''s my specs:
AMD AthlonXP 2.1 gig
512 MB RAM
Radeon 9200 128 MB
XP Professional

I just finished but the AI fps was 17 , that all I remember and I''m too tired to go searching your demo, maybe tomorrow...

Couple of things, first of all, your better than me right now, everything im saying is just constructive criticism, i coudlnt do any better... or even close to as good, first of all, collision detection, what method are you using? second, i dont know if this is true or not... but are the projectiles supposed to have splash damage? because they seem to have a HUGE bounding sphere when they hit something, which is probably unneccesary... *probably*
hope that wasnt completely useles
-Dan

Oh one last thing anyone who wants to play internet / network deathmatch will need the server program :

http://www.jonbellamy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Q3_Server.zip

[edited by - jonbell on March 10, 2004 8:19:52 AM]

you made a server program but you need to host the server so we can all play lol.

typedef unsigned long long int me;
typedef signed short char you;

No i dont you can host the server, just run the server program then all users connect to your IP (your game included) from the network menu and play. I put a 32 player limit in there but i''m sure you wont get that many players

Currently the multiplayer is just kill everything but adding capture the flag play etc is trivial.

I just need a world arist now. Any takers?

i cant wait till this is in beta. when it has great controlls mouslook etc ill love it.

typedef unsigned long long int me;
typedef signed short char you;

• Advertisement