• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kulerasi

clipping to a non-rectangular region in windowed mode

This topic is 5341 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How can you specify a non-rectangular region for a Direct X''s clipper object? Is it possible? I''ve figured out how to do windowed mode direct x and transparently draw a non-rectangular GUI on the desktop, and update it''s contents and stuff without any flickering or other graphical problems, and how to get it to clip it''s updating properly when windows are overlapping it. It even redraws correctly (and clipped properly) as other application windows are being dragged over it. (Took me a while, but I got there, lol. =P) All that''s all well and great, but what has me scratching my head is.. what about things like animated gifs in other applications that are partially obscured by my non-rectangular GUI? That is, my GUI is on top of theirs, but is only partially obscuring theirs. How can I get the animated gifs to display their updates properly, but clipped to the outline of my non-rectangular interface? Without causing flickering? I can do it behind a rectangular interface, that''s no problem. I just set up a clipper object and associate it with my main window. But that doesn''t work for a non-rectangular interface. The updating behind gets clipped to an invisible rectangle Around my GUI, lol. =/ I can.. hide my window.. capture the screen behind it.. and then show it again transparently.. but that causes flickering. Any tips on this? thanks, Kulerasi

Advertisement

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!