• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VBOs

This topic is 5103 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve just been reading about VBOs and I was wondering, how do you go about allocating storage for everything you may want to put in a VBO? Do you allocate one big buffer and manage it all yourself or create a new buffer for every geometry chunk you may want to render? I''m guessing allocating one big buffer is faster, but I don''t know how fast VBO buffers can be allocated/deallocated and bound.

Advertisement
Hmm guess I should''ve finished reading NVidia''s guide to using VBOs before posting my question It now looks like a seperate VBO buffer for every geometry chunk is the way to go.

Yep, thats pretty much it, generaly what games do is allocate a number of buffers and then fill them as needed with data depending on whats visable in the scene and how many vertices are needed etc etc

Assuming I did just make a seperate VBO for every geometry chunk would OpenGL upload the VBOs used the most to the vram? Or will it just allocate space for them depending on what''s available and never move them around?

• Advertisement