• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New collision/BSP tutorial?

This topic is 5104 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

For some reason I just felt that this site was lacking a unified tutorial that just had to do with these two topics. It is so incredibly integral to programming in 3d so why not post how to optimize performance with respect to these two things?

Advertisement
Strange you should mention this actually...

Yesterday I started writing a tutorial the implements Elipsoid Camera collision using the lesson 10 world. I'm about half way through the code, but everything so far is going well. It's turning out to be far larger than I thought so dont expect it for at least a week It should be pretty easy to implement bsp trees with it.

EDIT: Collision detection is done, and 3 pages of the tutorial I might finish it by Monday at this rate

[edited by - Kazade on March 6, 2004 1:20:57 PM]

yes but cant you create a colision detection tut just for triangles ( a very basic one easy to follow and bair in mind that some of the people using and benefiting from ur tuts are in school )

quote:
Original post by Kazade
Strange you should mention this actually...

Yesterday I started writing a tutorial the implements Elipsoid Camera collision using the lesson 10 world. I''m about half way through the code, but everything so far is going well. It''s turning out to be far larger than I thought so dont expect it for at least a week It should be pretty easy to implement bsp trees with it.

EDIT: Collision detection is done, and 3 pages of the tutorial I might finish it by Monday at this rate

[edited by - Kazade on March 6, 2004 1:20:57 PM]

Is is based on Fluid Studios and/or Telemachos papers?

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.

It is based on this.

Which if i remember correctly is similar if not the same technique as the Fluid studios one.

quote:

yes but cant you create a colision detection tut just for triangles ( a very basic one easy to follow and bair in mind that some of the people using and benefiting from ur tuts are in school )

It is a complex method but i'm doing my best to explain it in detail. I also have a list of links to related information that should answer any questions.

The code is really just an adaptation of the code in the tutorial, to work with the Lesson 10 data structures. Although i've added a method which selects the possible colliders, instead of checking every polygon in the world.

[edited by - Kazade on March 6, 2004 6:45:58 PM]

• Advertisement