Linux OpenGL Problems

Started by
6 comments, last by insanebluecow 20 years, 1 month ago
I''m trying to compile Lesson 1. Everything compiles well, except I get a warning that exit() is implicit in one of the functions. Then, when I double click on it, it says the file cannot be found. It does the same thing with some of the Mesa demos too, but not all. So I try opening it in console. Then it gives me something about not being able to find the visual capabilites. Anyone know whats wrong?
Advertisement
Open a terminal, run the program from there, and post exactly what output is given where. I''m having a hard time guessing exactly what you mean, although I have a couple ideas.

Which development tool are you using? Which file is not found?
Could you copy/paste the error?
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
The error is:

GLUT: Fatal Error in lesson1: visual with necessary capabilities not found. 

Development tool? What do you mean, like gcc? That''s the compiler I''m using. Or do you mean Mesa3D?
quote:Original post by insanebluecow
Then, when I double click on it

Are you using KDE? The Konkeror file browser has troubles executing the apps in their current folder.

Try executing the program from the console.

EDIT: typing "./program-name". Just in case you don't know.

[edited by - owl on March 6, 2004 1:25:11 AM]
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Nope, already tried it, it gives me the error I posted above.
First guess, mebbe you don''t have GLX enabled? Does glxgears work?

Apart from that, it would help if you pasted in the code that you''re using to create the glut window.
//// This code was created by Jeff Molofee '99 (ported to Linux/GLUT by Richard Campbell '99)//// If you've found this code useful, please let me know.//// Visit me at www.demonews.com/hosted/nehe// (email Richard Campbell at ulmont@bellsouth.net)//#include <GL/glut.h>    // Header File For The GLUT Library#include <GL/gl.h>	// Header File For The OpenGL32 Library#include <GL/glu.h>	// Header File For The GLu32 Library#include <unistd.h>     // Header file for sleeping./* ascii code for the escape key */#define ESCAPE 27/* The number of our GLUT window */int window;/* A general OpenGL initialization function.  Sets all of the initial parameters. */void InitGL(int Width, int Height)	        // We call this right after our OpenGL window is created.{  glClearColor(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);		// This Will Clear The Background Color To Black  glClearDepth(1.0);				// Enables Clearing Of The Depth Buffer  glDepthFunc(GL_LESS);				// The Type Of Depth Test To Do  glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST);			// Enables Depth Testing  glShadeModel(GL_SMOOTH);			// Enables Smooth Color Shading  glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);  glLoadIdentity();				// Reset The Projection Matrix  gluPerspective(45.0f,(GLfloat)Width/(GLfloat)Height,0.1f,100.0f);	// Calculate The Aspect Ratio Of The Window  glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);}/* The function called when our window is resized (which shouldn't happen, because we're fullscreen) */void ReSizeGLScene(int Width, int Height){  if (Height==0)				// Prevent A Divide By Zero If The Window Is Too Small    Height=1;  glViewport(0, 0, Width, Height);		// Reset The Current Viewport And Perspective Transformation  glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);  glLoadIdentity();  gluPerspective(45.0f,(GLfloat)Width/(GLfloat)Height,0.1f,100.0f);  glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);}/* The main drawing function. */void DrawGLScene(){  glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);		// Clear The Screen And The Depth Buffer  glLoadIdentity();				// Reset The View  // since this is double buffered, swap the buffers to display what just got drawn.  glutSwapBuffers();}/* The function called whenever a key is pressed. */void keyPressed(unsigned char key, int x, int y){    /* avoid thrashing this procedure */    usleep(100);    /* If escape is pressed, kill everything. */    if (key == ESCAPE)    { 	/* shut down our window */	glutDestroyWindow(window); 	/* exit the program...normal termination. */	exit(0);    }}int main(int argc, char **argv){  /* Initialize GLUT state - glut will take any command line arguments that pertain to it or     X Windows - look at its documentation at http://reality.sgi.com/mjk/spec3/spec3.html */  glutInit(&argc, argv);  /* Select type of Display mode:        Double buffer     RGBA color     Alpha components supported     Depth buffer */  glutInitDisplayMode(GLUT_RGBA | GLUT_DOUBLE | GLUT_ALPHA | GLUT_DEPTH);  /* get a 640 x 480 window */  glutInitWindowSize(640, 480);  /* the window starts at the upper left corner of the screen */  glutInitWindowPosition(0, 0);  /* Open a window */  window = glutCreateWindow("Jeff Molofee's GL Code Tutorial ... NeHe '99");  /* Register the function to do all our OpenGL drawing. */  glutDisplayFunc(&DrawGLScene);    /* Go fullscreen.  This is as soon as possible. */  glutFullScreen();  /* Even if there are no events, redraw our gl scene. */  glutIdleFunc(&DrawGLScene);  /* Register the function called when our window is resized. */  glutReshapeFunc(&ReSizeGLScene);  /* Register the function called when the keyboard is pressed. */  glutKeyboardFunc(&keyPressed);  /* Initialize our window. */  InitGL(640, 480);  /* Start Event Processing Engine */  glutMainLoop();  return 1;}  

That's the code I'm using, and yes, glxgears works. Thanks, though!

EDIT: Ok, I feel stupid now. I had previously used the linux source code, but just now I tried the Linux/GLX source, and it works fine. Thanks for all the help!

[edited by - insanebluecow on March 6, 2004 2:31:12 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement