• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WesleyWu

Terrain texture tiling

This topic is 5275 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Given a set of basic textures (stone, grass, sand, etc), is there any method to automatically generate tiles between them? I've carefully observed the World Editor of WarCraft III. It didn't seem to use such a method. For example, grass is always "floating" upon all other tiles when they met. Does it use multitexturing to do a blend of different types of tiles? Any can explain this problem in detail? ThanX. [edit: made your edit for you. -Superpig] [edited by - Superpig on March 6, 2004 5:06:04 AM]

Advertisement
It''s not texture splatting.

They just render lots of quads with each texture visible (but they put all grass variations on a single texture, same with dirt, etc). Grass is always on top because grass tiles are rendered last.

Just posted this in another thread.

Check out this article:

found this article the other day:
"A compact model for Viewpoint Dependant Texture Synthesis"
by Zalesny and Van Gool.
(2001 I think)

Thier model seems excellent for texture blending, if you are not afraid of trying something new...

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!