GeForce vs. ATI, Part 2

Started by
9 comments, last by Mythar 20 years, 1 month ago
First of, thx for testing my UI

I would like if u guys could post an image of whats wrong with the text, have not seen any text bugs on the PCs i have tested it on.

And yes, its a bit slow when u hover the mouse over some of the windows. This has to do with, how i draw the windows.
As the textbox and edit control can contain "links", i have to update these on mousemove, also the listbox and listview draws text "hot" on mousemove these has to be updated as well.
Also keep in mind that the textbox dose wordwraping and to do that, i need to parse the text for color values and links.
The lose in frame rate is the price you pay for having a "fluently" UI.
But i dont think it will affect a game to mush, if you consider how it will work in game.
The "chat window" etc. wont be full screen, i meen, why make it fullscreen when your running around fighting monsters etc.
Also the frame rate drops when you resize windows, but again, this dose not realy matter, as you would probly only setup your UI once, and lock the window positions when you play.
The main thing is, that the UI is drawen very fast when you run around in a world.
Sure I could make the UI faster, but you would lose "hot" colors, "hot" buttons, "hot" links etc.
Also the UI gives you the option to be fully user customized.

As for how is was made, thats kinda hard to explain, as the UI is a part of my DirectX wrapper.
But if you want to make an UI that works, the bedst advice i can give, is to make everything your self.
Simply make the controls as you would make them for a normal window interface, start of with a base Control class that takes care of the stuff, that all controls uses, such as setting with, height etc.

As for my own:
ATI 9800 PRO, 128MB, P4 1800, 1GB ram

FPS 660 , in windowed mode and 32Bit color
FPS 800 , in fullscreen and 16Bit color
FPS 380 , if a window is fullscreen.

I also uploaded a sample of my 3D Engine, works fine on all cards, however GeForce cards has a z buffer problem, as i do not use a frustrum culling tree.
GeForce has simply been asleep, and ATI overtook them by miles

http://www.microtower.com/temp/po_test.zip

The terrain in the sample was made to be extreme, and im still working on the "FarView" part of the engine.
I used USGS DEM files of Mount Saint Helens for the height map and Landsat 7 Satellite Imagery for the terrain texture.

[edited by - Mythar on March 7, 2004 11:51:39 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement