• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bladesnet

SHOUTcast Server

This topic is 5267 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hello everyone i want to write a shoutcast type server and a player for it(in Visual Basic) all i could find related to this are some general ideas and descriptions and i didn't understand much(mostly because there are no such things for Visual Basic) could anyone help me? [edited by - bladesnet on March 20, 2004 11:34:48 AM]

Advertisement
is there no one who would know enything about creating (witing code in VB for) ShoutCast servers??

[edited by - bladesnet on March 20, 2004 11:35:27 AM]

quote:
Original post by bladesnet
hello everyone

i want to write a shoutcast type server and a player for it(in vb)
all i could find related to this are some general ideas and descriptions and i didn't understand much(mostly because there are no such things for vb)
could anyone help me?

What specificly do you want know about it? I've a written a very simple shoutcast server in VB and programs to record Shoutcast streams to the harddrive (this was awhile ago but I still have the source etc). Do you need the protocol? If you want to write program to play shoutcast streams you're going to need a way to decode MP3 and produce the audio. You can use fmod to handle the mp3 play back.

[edited by - prh99 on March 8, 2004 4:52:58 PM]

actually i don't even know where to start u've sad u've writen a shoutcast server and you still have the source, could you post it or send it? (bladesnet@yahoo.com)
i've used fmod before i can manage with the mp3 playback. the writing of the shoutcast server is my problem for starters i don't know how to send the data

[edited by - bladesnet on March 11, 2004 10:13:25 AM]

prh99. i don''t want to seem impacient, but i haven''t found any tutorial or guidence for making a Shoutcast type server so your my only hope for finishing my project
So i need your help

i''ve found a sample code that uses Winsock to connect to a shoutcast server and saves the data received into an mp3 file.
the problem is that it does not suport HTTP proxy server configuracion and i don''t know how to modify it so it could work from a LAN connected pc

Any ideas

P.S. I''m still waiting for that help u''ve mentioned some time ago: prh99

if you dont mind waiting about a week, i will have the perfect solution for you (except it is C++)
i will update my web site in a few days when i am done coding the grunt work of the engine
should be enough info on it right now to give you a basic idea of what it can do, just check out the FAQ

Intro Engine

quote:
Original post by Cipher3D
It'd be cool if you post the protocol here

Here is the protocol I've documentmented so far. Sorry it took so long to respond, but my access to a computer with internet has been rather limited by work and school.

CrLf=Carriage Return(13) Line Feed(10) ascii characters.

Connect to server to send stream

Client sends:
passwordCrLf

Note:Replace the word password with actual password.

Server sends:

OK2CrLF
icy-caps:11CrLf

Client sends:

icy-name:Unnamed ServerCrLf
icy-genre:CrLf
icy-url:http://www.shoutcast.comCrLf
icy-irc:#shoutcastCrLf
icy-icq:0CrLf
icy-aim:N/ACrLf
icy-pub:0CrLf
icy-br:24CrLf
CrLfCrLf
MP3 Data

Connect to server to receive stream
Client sends:

GET / HTTP/1.0CrLf
Host: client IP addressCrLf
User-Agent: WinampMPEG/2.8CrLf
Accept: */*"CrLf
Icy-MetaData:0CrLf
Connection: closeCrLf
CrLf

Note: if Icy-MetaData is set to 1 it tells the server you want meta data.

You'll get back icy-metaint: and a number, this number is how many bytes of MP3 data will be sent between metadata tags.
When the server sends metadata it will first send a one byte
integer that represents the size of the metadata divided by 16
(so if you multiply that byte by 16 you'll have the actual size
of the metadata). In all of the streams I've looked at the
metadata is usually two tags, ShoutcastTitle='insert title
here' and ShoutcastArtist='insert artist here'.

Server sends:

ICY 200 OKCrLF
icy-name:CrLf
icy-genre:CrLf
icy-url:http://www.shoutcast.comCrLf
icy-irc:#shoutcastCrLf
icy-icq:0CrLf
icy-aim:N/ACrLf
icy-pub:0CrLf
icy-br:24CrLf
CrLfCrLf
MP3 Data

Sorry the board messed up the spacing.

[edited by - prh99 on March 20, 2004 5:12:27 PM]

[edited by - prh99 on March 20, 2004 5:21:26 PM]

quote:
Original post by bladesnet
i''ve found a sample code that uses Winsock to connect to a shoutcast server and saves the data received into an mp3 file.
the problem is that it does not suport HTTP proxy server configuracion and i don''t know how to modify it so it could work from a LAN connected pc

Any ideas

P.S. I''m still waiting for that help u''ve mentioned some time ago: prh99

I don''t know how to make them work with proxies. All of the shoutcast servers I''ve written have been to stream music behind a router. Primarly so I could listen music I have on computer from any of the other computers.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!