Cups and samba and stuff

Started by
3 comments, last by BradDaBug 20 years, 1 month ago
I''m trying to share a printer hooked up to a Mandrake 9.0 box over Samba, but I can''t get it to work right. I can print from that machine via lpr and stuff, but cupsd is running at about 95% CPU usage and the LAN card is constantly blinking. That''s not normal, afaik. Not only that, but I can''t get the Windows machines to print to the computer. It shows up in Network Neighborhood, but there''s a message saying the printer wasn''t found when I try to print to it. I looked in some logs and it looks like the spooler I have set in smb.conf (/var/spool/lpd/lp) doesn''t exist. Anyone know what the right spooler might be? And as a bonus question, during my fooling around with the machine my web server stopped working. GoDaddy is supposed to forward requests on www.fwheel.net to my IP, along with the path, but now no path gets forwarded, only the IP, so ALL requests go to the homepage. If you try to connect to the web server via the IP address and a path, it works fine. Could that be something I screwed up on my server or is GoDaddy screwed up?
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
Well, I think my web server thingy is working now. I turned off forwarding at GoDaddy and now it seems to be forwarding correctly. Go figure. (btw, feel free to test the server. It should be the Wiki, not the main home page)

Doesn''t ANYONE have any idea about the printer situation?
I like the DARK layout!
Have you tried to just create the /var/spool/lpd/lp directory?

I much prefer CUPS over LPD. If CUPS is giving you headaches, perhaps its a bad install, or a config problem. You could try uninstalling CUPS, blowing away /etc/cups, and then reinstalling.

[edited by - debaere on March 9, 2004 9:07:20 AM]
I created a directory in /var/spool/cups called LaserJet (that's what I called the printer in CUPS) and adjusted the samba config file. I got messages about insufficient permissions in that folder so I chmoded it to 777 and the messages went away. Now there are no error messages, either in the log files or in Windows when trying to print, but now the file I want to print just sits there in the little queue window and never prints.

Any ideas?

Edit: Well, actually, there is ONE message: "standard input is not a socket, assuming -D option"

[edited by - BradDaBug on March 9, 2004 12:20:06 PM]
I like the DARK layout!
So no one knows how to fix any of this?

[edited by - BradDaBug on March 15, 2004 3:20:48 PM]
I like the DARK layout!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement