• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SoaringTortoise

Adaptive bump-mapping. How to stop the pop?

This topic is 5341 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, i''ve got bump-mapping working nicely on my terrain engine, but it''s having a serious impact on performance (about half the fps with it on compared to off). I figure that a good way to improve performance is to fade it out over distance - much past a few meters and it''s indistinguishable from filtering glitches anyhow. I can obviously do this quite simply by just checking the distance from the camera to the vertex chunk and if it''s greater than x then disable the bump map for that chunk. The problem with this is that it tends to visibly ''pop'' into existance unless I make x quite large (which kind of negates the benefit). Ideally I''d like to visually handle it the same way as mip-mapping (a smooth fade-in), and although I can achieve this visually by manually editing the mip-map for the bump-map and setting the lower-detail maps to have no distinguishable bump, it doesn''t really solve the performance drain. I can combine the two methods - use a mip-map chain with no-bump at a certain level, and then draw with no bump beyond that point, but this seems like a clumsy and overwrought method. Any other ideas?

Advertisement
No, id Argue that having LOD (Level of Detail) is a great thing... i wouldnt call it clumsy at all... so go with the mip map (says I)
-Dan

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!