Adaptive bump-mapping. How to stop the pop?

Started by
0 comments, last by SoaringTortoise 20 years, 1 month ago
Hi, i''ve got bump-mapping working nicely on my terrain engine, but it''s having a serious impact on performance (about half the fps with it on compared to off). I figure that a good way to improve performance is to fade it out over distance - much past a few meters and it''s indistinguishable from filtering glitches anyhow. I can obviously do this quite simply by just checking the distance from the camera to the vertex chunk and if it''s greater than x then disable the bump map for that chunk. The problem with this is that it tends to visibly ''pop'' into existance unless I make x quite large (which kind of negates the benefit). Ideally I''d like to visually handle it the same way as mip-mapping (a smooth fade-in), and although I can achieve this visually by manually editing the mip-map for the bump-map and setting the lower-detail maps to have no distinguishable bump, it doesn''t really solve the performance drain. I can combine the two methods - use a mip-map chain with no-bump at a certain level, and then draw with no bump beyond that point, but this seems like a clumsy and overwrought method. Any other ideas?
Always prey on the weak, the timid and the stupid. Otherwise you'll just get your butt kicked
For a tortoise, this is extremely hard to do, but when you get it right... the expression on their faces ...
Advertisement
No, id Argue that having LOD (Level of Detail) is a great thing... i wouldnt call it clumsy at all... so go with the mip map (says I)
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement