Saving Games

Started by
47 comments, last by chronos 23 years, 8 months ago
I once came upon a discussion on free saves versus save spots. Free saves allow players to save the game at any point in time. Save spots allow saving only at certain strategic locations. Free saves are said to encourage a kind of compulsive attitude towards saving for safety, while save spots are criticised for forcing players to look for the latest spot to avoid losing progress whenever they feel like taking a break from the game. What about the compromise? Save spots would, as usual, provide the player with persistent saves. Away from a save spot the player could simply suspend the game to resume at a later time (similar to pausing the game, except you don''t have to keep it running). Given that suspended game data is gone as soon as you resume the game it cannot be used as a safety net. Players can suspend the game at any time while still retaining a certain sense of danger through potential loss of progress. Granted this will not satisfy those who present other arguments against save spots. However, those who decide to make use of them should consider the above enhancement.
Advertisement
I don''t see how this would be much different from free saves. You say that the suspension data is gone as soon as you resume the game. Does it also disappear if you die? Even if so, there''s nothing to stop the player from suspending the game as a safety net... when he gets into a fight he knows he can''t win, he just kills the game before the enemy can kill him and erase his save data. Then he resumes the game, ''suspends'' it again, and repeats. Call me pessimistic, but I don''t think you can find a happy medium between free saves and save points, unless you count games like FF7 where you can free save only in a certain area (the world map).

-Ironblayde
Aeon Software
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"
In tabletop RPG when you die it is final, you dont reload your character. It is as if every action was saved. Perhaps implementing RPG like this could sort between players interested in the roleplay wich would assess the risks of what they do and powermaxer trying to fight everything to gain combat skills or xp. This way the game would be continuous and getting out of difficult situations would much more rewarding for the player.

"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."
------------------"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."
I''ve completely missed the point here?

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
I think it''s worthwhile to point out what Diablo II did for saving. Whenever you go back to town, it saves. Whenever you quit, it saves. Whenever it feels like it, it saves. But you can only have one saved game per character, and it''s automatically loaded when you come back to the game. I thought this was a great technique for saving. It meant that you couldn''t save, try something, and if you died load, because you couldn''t load again without saving first (did that make sense?)!

Anyways, it was a great idea, and I think deserves more consideration.
==============="Or a pointed stick!"
I''m developing a 2d horror game very similar to Resident Evil. Any suggestion on how to save? I thought about something like in Resident Evil, but I want to use something else.

-------
Me Hardguy.
and here is my game...
Hello Ironblayde,

It appears you''ve misunderstood the concept of suspend and resume. When you suspend a game it exits back to the startup screen. When you resume it the data is gone. Aborting the program will do no good as there''s nothing to resume to.

One thing the player might do is to figure out a way to copy suspended game data to a place where the game won''t find it and use it as a way to get free saves. Doing this is so out of the ordinary that players will know they are cheating. If the player wants to cheat then let him.
Well i''d go for save spots because:

1)I hate free saving.
You just can''t save a game whenever you like.It is really irritating in an RTS/RPG.You can just waste your life and take any risk without any significant cost.I only like free save in games like Doom where you die in a regular base of 1 or two minutes.But not in RTS/RPG games.

2)I hate replaying the whole thing when i lose.
Now to the other side of saving - the lack of save game.
I wouldn''t vote for it as long as you die that easily like in most RPG''s nowadays.When i''m going to lose my "life" in just a few seconds and after two or three days of playing, well i wouldn''t like yo restart the whole thing.

3)Save spots make it equal for everyone.
Save spots give the same chances to everybody.
You can''t blame your misfortune when all of a sudden a huge monster attacks you and sends you to hell,because your last save is a thousand miles away.
You just know that every other player had the same luck with you and if they died they had to start from the same save spot again.
Equality!

Ok i don''t believe save spots are the remedie cause they depend on the designer''s "design" abilities and they may not be good...

But anyway.
Voodoo4

Here these words vilifiers and pretenders, please let me die in solitude...
Heh, you''re right Chronos, I totally misunderstood what you were saying. Chalk it up to the difficulty of trying to communicate with actual people after a day of programming in isolation with only NPCs to keep me company.

-Ironblayde
Aeon Software
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"
What about setting the character back everytime they manually save, say they lose something like XP. With this system there could also be save spot where the character doesn''t lose anything. This way the player gets the choice of risking it until they reach the next save spot or go with the conservative choice of saving now and taking the small loss. You''ve got to think about this one.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement